Complete France Forum

Porches & Verandas

redmike

I am looking to build a porch/veranda on the back of my house. I am thinking large oak type pillars holding up a gently sloping roof, possibly tiled or maybe glass with blinds in.

Anyone know of some websites that would give me some inspiration? I sort of know in my head what I want but need to look at some pics but havent had much luck so far. I would prefer French websites as want to maintain the French look. My house is in Cher (18).

You will need to submit a Declaration de Travaux upto 20m² and a full Permis over that measurement. What you submit on the paperwork regarding the style(plans required) and the materials to be used will be scrutinised by the mairie and the DDE and if they are not happy they will let you know. Usually as long as the construction blends in with the existing property and uses matching materials there is no problem unless you have a Monument Historique close by. What you suggest sounds quite acceptable but why not have a look round the area and see what others have had constructed.

Thanks for the info Val. Yes I had read some earlier posts about 'permit' and 'declaration' differences. I want it to go the full width of the house so it will be more than 20sqm. I have a friend at the Marie which means that I have been there before and am sort of used to the way they operate. We had a new roof put on 2 years ago with Velux windows. I actually like the way they are so keen to match buildings, renovations etc with existing ones and the rules and regs regarding what you can do in respect of how far you are from the town centre (or indeed monuments as you said).

I have spotted a house with a nice porch about 15k from us that I like. Perhaps I should stop off and pay them a visit, take a photo or two, if I get the nerve. 

[quote user="redmike"]

I actually like the way they are so keen to match buildings, renovations etc with existing ones and the rules and regs regarding what you can do in respect of how far you are from the town centre (or indeed monuments as you said).

[/quote]

Are you sure? I've seen loads of incongruous, out of character additions to French dwellings and modern glass and concrete structures cheek by jowl with medieval colombage or whatever the "classic" style is in every town I have visited!

Personally, I don't like (most) white plastic and aluminium verandhas on old buildings, and I see them everywhere - maybe my eye is just drawn to them. [:)]

Velux windows and solar panels also can be seen anywhere you go if you look up - there may be the odd hamlet without a set of Velux windows set into an ancient tiled roof, but that probably reflects the poverty of the inhabitants rather than the sensitivities of the mayor for granting or denying planning permission. 

[quote user="redmike"]I am looking to build a porch/veranda on the back of my house. I am thinking large oak type pillars holding up a gently sloping roof, possibly tiled or maybe glass with blinds in.

Anyone know of some websites that would give me some inspiration? I sort of know in my head what I want but need to look at some pics but havent had much luck so far. I would prefer French websites as want to maintain the French look. My house is in Cher (18).[/quote]

Here's one Mr Clair helped to make.

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/VrandaMedium.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/BernardfloorMedium.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/PorcheMedium.jpg[/IMG]

Archived