Complete France Forum

White paint for woodwork -really white

Chocolate

Over the last year I have been steadily painting the walls and woodwork in the house. However I have not been able to solve an irritating problem colour-wise. Does anyone know of a French paint for wooden doors and windows which is truly white please? White when against white walls especially.

We have used several types by Dulux Valentine (French) in both white gloss and satin finishes but the result is always a funny colour. The final straw has come with our kitchen. We want the walls to be white so painted them with DV matt white emulsion. The newly painted woodwork immediately appeared to be grey so we re-emulsioned with white (British) Dulux matt paint brought over by a Brit friend. The paintwork then appeared to be a very pale pink against it, so we tried another French DV white gloss paint on the woodwork and it is still very very discoloured. It seems a greyish colour where we use it in other parts of the house so it is not a trick of the light in the kitchen. We have tried 'blanc' and 'blanc de blanc' around the house and the result is never white. As we are using white, cream and pale (very) emulsion on the walls for various rooms we need to solve the problem and save energy constantly re-doing work already done.

The problem may be just the type of undercoat used. I have found it impossible to buy a decent undercoat here. I often put 2 coats of Acrylic undercoat on new woodwork,dries in 2 hours, and the a coat of UK usually Dulux, Br White gloss. If you have old paint underneath, you need a coat , or pref, 2,  of oil based undercoat to stop the old colours/stains bleeding through. Emulsion will let any stains/damp/nicotine etc show through unless oil based paint is used as a sealer.

Regards. 5 Mins St.Malo

I always use acylic undercoat/primer (2 coats) ....followed by a coat of quick drying brilliant white gloss from wickes master range (none of the major paint manufacturers do a similar product for general sale - only trade). Dries in rapid time , doesn't yellow with age and you can wash your brushes in water. Been using it for years and it is the whitest white i've seen.

Just one small tip ....if you are painting it over new timber , make sure you apply knotting to all the knots , or they will shw thro the finish

Thank you for those replies. Really helpful.

Yes, we are painting over pale grey and in one case pale pink woodwork put on over 30 years ago. It is sound and not chipped, but really irratating that the French top coat  seems off colour once white or a pale emulsion is painted on the walls next to it.

I read the Wickes recommendation, but as it can be difficult for us to get Brit paint now is there a French acrylic undercoat which is as good? A gloss as good for the top coat also?

If not, then we will have to wait until visitors drive over to us.

Thank you once again to those who took time to reply.

UK Dulux do a type of emulsion that goes on slightly pink then dries white. the reason is so you can see where you have applied paint when applying a 2nd coat (i.e. the new cost just going on is pinkish compared to the existing dry white coat).

I tried it once and will not be using it again. True, it is really easy to see what has been given a 2nd coat, etc. and it does dry to white. However, get condensation at some point and the pink comes out in the condensation droplets then runs down the wall and stains everything. Ought to come with a health warning !!

Don't know if this may be related yo you "pink effect" ?

Ian

Thank you again for the help.

I had heard of the 'pink paint' problem when emulsioning the walls and ceiling. Nightmare!

However, my problem is with paint for the woodwork.

Teamedup - we went looking this afternoon for the paint you mentioned. We found a Dulux paint in satin and realised that 'cristalline' was the colour. The tins we found were in Bricomarche. There were several small tins and two 2.5 litre tins in that colour and that was all. It seems to be suitable for walls and woodwork so were not sure if we had the right paint. On looking through the new Dulux paint catalogue we couldn't find the colour cristalline, so if you want to use it again perhaps it would be wise to get it sooner rather than later.

By the way, was the acrylic undercoat that you used  French or Brit? 

Good luck

Many thanks, I hope that it works for you. I certainly would like some, so will try and get it this week. I'm not keen on not quite white, whites.

The undercoat was french Dulux Valentine, white,  sous-couche universelle, valfond and I was very happy with it.

Archived