Complete France Forum

GV/PV Switch next to Chauffe-Eau

garytwigg

Hello All

In my house, (in dept 17) there are 2 tall water heaters (Chauffe-Eau??), one at each end of the property.  Each has a 2 way switch (similar to a light switch) labled GV/PV on the walls next to them.  I have had a look at the wiring in the back of the switches and they have 3 wires connected at the rear.

Any ideas as to what they are for?  They dont seem to do anything?  The house has Triphase electricity if that makes any difference

In addition, I would like to be able to isolate one of the heaters (i.e. turn it off separately) as we never use the hot water from it, apart from when we have guests staying.

Thanks in advance

Hello BJSLIV

Thanks for your reply - I hadn't connected the Grand/Petit Volume or Vitesse scenario and yes we do have a VMC air extraction system with outlets in both rooms where the water heaters are, however the switches are located next to the water heaters rather than near the air vents.

I will try & see how much hot water I can get out of the water heaters with the switch in each position.

Once again, many thanks for your advice

Gary Twigg

The fuse board/s look fairly modern - probably less than 10 years old and there are 3 of them.  One controls the underfloor heating & has an on/off switch, a thermostat, a timer clock & what look like several relays on it, one contains all the fuses for the electric (convector?) wall heaters throughout the house and the other contains all the other fuses for the lighting & socket circuits, most of which I have identified by turning them off and seeing what stops working..... together with the switch for the VMC air vac in both bathrooms & the kitchen (both on one switch - but 2 units - one at each end of the house) and the single switch for both of the water heaters.

At the moment, as I mentioned previously, whenever we switch the hot water on - we are heating both cylinders, one of which we are not using.  I have had a look at the electrics and they connect underneath the unit with little room for any change.   I certainly wouldnt want to get involved with any DIY in the wiring I have seen.

Do you think that the heaters might have separate fuses?  If so, I can, by trial & error identify the correct fuse and remove it until I want to use it.

What a great place this is....

Archived