Complete France Forum

Remise for renovation

bishop

We're proposing to buy a small village house in Herault, fully renovated, but with an adjoining remise which will potentially double the space when renovated.  Two questions.....

1. There is an area of flat roof adjoining the main bedroom which we intend to convert to a small terrace.  How do I obtain planning permission to do this, and can I apply for this before completion?
  2. The ground floor of the remise is currently used as storage and is accessed by an internal door.  What permissions will be required to undertake the full renovation of the remise?  This is a village setting with adjoining buildings on both sides.  Are we talking about a CU?

[quote user="bishop"]We're proposing to buy a small village house in Herault, fully renovated, but with an adjoining remise which will potentially double the space when renovated.  Two questions.....

1. There is an area of flat roof adjoining the main bedroom which we intend to convert to a small terrace.  How do I obtain planning permission to do this, and can I apply for this before completion?

2. The ground floor of the remise is currently used as storage and is accessed by an internal door.  What permissions will be required to undertake the full renovation of the remise?  This is a village setting with adjoining buildings on both sides.  Are we talking about a CU?

[/quote]

I'll try...

1) "Declaration de traveaux" and yes you can apply before you sign the final act, but I doubt if it is worth trying to apply before the compromis - you would never get permission for a roof terrace as a "clause suspensive"

2) None, if it has been a residential before, otherwise planning permission (permis de construire), which can also be applied for pre-act authentique. A CU (or rather certificat d'urbanism) is roughly equivalent to outline planning permission and doesn't actually entitle you to do anything.

Thanks, Nick.  That helps.  I'll be trying to get an introduction to the Mairie when I'm over in a couple of weeks so I can broach some of these issues then, but I'd like to be prepared.   I'm not sure if the remise has previously  been residential. Upper floors are derelict  and ground floor has cattle feeders attached to the walls.  Its also got a roman well in the ground floor - I don't know if that's an indication of previous residence!

Thanks anyway

Bish

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="bishop"]

[/quote]

1) "Declaration de traveaux" and yes you can apply before you sign the final act, but I doubt if it is worth trying to apply before the compromis - you would never get permission for a roof terrace as a "clause suspensive"

[/quote]

I know your only going to say that some smart alec will always have done this but we did.[Www]

We had a clause suspensive included in our first contract which stated that we wanted premission for a terrace and to alter some doors and windows, the vendor agreed and the agent filled all the forms in and we received the Premis de construire one week before we signed, and it took only3 days less than 2 months!

So my advice would be you'll never know if you don't try.

Chipie

Archived