Complete France Forum

Adding a conservatory to French house.

Matelot

Hi,

Has anyone on this forum had a conservatory (veranda) added to their French home? If so, was the process about the same as in the UK? Or was it much more hassle with planning permission, etc.

Are conservatories more expensive in France? Has anyone taken over a self-build kit from the UK?

Any advice please. Thanks a lot!

Just a litle bit of info for you. We looked at a large P shaped conservatory at Wickes and enquired the wieght - 850kg, which might be useful to you if you contemplate taking one over..

Will wait until we actually retire to add our conservatory

Paul

Talk to your Mairie first, you may need permission and they are the best place to start.  I seem to remember a certain Jeremy Clarkson finally selling his holiday home in France after conservatory planning problems - knowing him probably because - unlike you - he didn't see fit to ask the right questions first!

[quote user="cooperlola"] I seem to remember a certain Jeremy Clarkson finally selling his holiday home in France after conservatory planning problems - knowing him probably because - unlike you - he didn't see fit to ask the right questions first![/quote]

Or in the right manner

[quote user="P"]

[quote user="cooperlola"] I seem to remember a certain Jeremy Clarkson finally selling his holiday home in France after conservatory planning problems - knowing him probably because - unlike you - he didn't see fit to ask the right questions first![/quote]

Or in the right manner

[/quote]There's that.[:D]

Usual regulations apply - Déclaration de Travaux if upto 20m² and full Permis over that. However, some styles and materials are sometimes rejected but unless you submit a plan, photos and the usual info you won't know until it has been looked at. Les Monuments Historiques can be a problem if you are within 300m but again let the mairie decide yes or no and do not construct anything without written permission as you will have to take it down again.

If you DO get permission, decide to go ahead and take one from the UK, I can more than recommend the Wickes ones.

Excellent build quality, excellent instructions, and the guy who designs them is on the other end of a helpline, just in case you do get stuck.

You'll need a hefty trailer though, or a van: they take up a LOT of space before unpacking, and are VERY heavy.

Just out of interest. What are those who are looking to build a consevatory prepared to pay? What sort of square metreage and materials are you (as the consumer) after?

Ford Anglia, I forgot that maintence post didn't I! It'll be up by tomm evening.

Archived