Complete France Forum

CEILING/WALL "CARPET"

bionicbodger

Our house was last decorated by the (very elderly) owners back in 1984 with some very charming (!) wallpapers - mostly vinyl - and nylon "carpet" stuff on every ceiling, even the loo.

We've tried stripping it off - it comes off very easily but leaves a brown backing paper which is IMPOSSIBLE to get off, it leaves a sticky gooey mess.  We've tried heating and scraping, scrubbing, sanding - anyone have any tried and tested tips - olive green furry ceilings are not very "us".

Thanks [+o(]

It might need spirit, what a lot of paperhangers used in the eightys was a glue that was pasted onto the wall first, then the paper was fixed so that you did not need ( or could not if wide vinyl + lots of others that I won't bore you with) to mark the material. What I do is a test patch, try a few things , spirit etc then if thats ok wash the whole lot off but being careful (flamable spring's to mind) Theres a lot more involved if it does move it, and  being sticky theres not much more then to do it slowly. Others mayc ome up with more ideas.

Sounds horrendous, you have my sympathy.  Have you tried scoring and steaming? I think you might have to go the solvent route though, be careful with that stuff it can get in your lungs/eyes etc (Before anyone jumps on this, no I'm not being all Nanny, just concerned)

Archived