Complete France Forum

Special paint for shutters

Mike1958

Can anyone help.

We have the thin slatted type of shutter (in wood) that fold against each other when closing. They are white but the paint on the outside is flaking and in need of a good paint job. We looked at the various options and thought that as the existing paint was fairly thin that the normal exterior white paint would be to thick and settled for a product called SYNTILOR XYLODHONE.

Having rubbed the shutters down, with some parts now down to bare wood the first coat of the product above seems to be too thin to give a good even white finish. I know this is just the first coat, however does anyone have any experience of this product and if so should we persevere or change to another product now.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Hi Mike,

I did a Google search and found the website syntilor.com.

What you have bought is actually a polyurethane varnish (lasure), not a paint so it won't give you a solid white finish. According to the website it has a pearlised satin finish. Is this what you are looking for? If yes, you could use a white undercoat first and then 2 coats of the varnish, but I think the finish might be a little odd looking.

Your other alternative ( and this is what we do in work) is to give the shutters a good coat of undercoat and then follow with 2 coats of gloss or satin finish oil based paint.

You could of course buy the undercoat, try it with the varnish, and if you don't like it then buy the paint.

If you need help, pm me,

Aly

Kindly excuse me, I'd like to barge in and ask my own related question. We have standard softwood varnished shutters where the wood is in pretty good condition but they are faded with some bare patches and could do with a re-coat. We fancy the idea of green gloss paint instead of varnish.Any ideas for preparation methods and paint brands which would be durable ?

The same thing applies.....a good rub down with standard (80) and then fine(120) sandpaper, a coat of undercoat and then 2 coats of a decent oil based paint. We always use a satin finish, never gloss. I'm not very familiar with retail makes of paint, but I have used Nuance (from Bricomarche) , Gedimat and M.Bricolage in my own house.

My personal favourite is Nuance Satin Finish, I have used it successfully on all our exterior wood and it has lasted very well.

It's worth remembering that these paints are made with French weather in mind, rather than English so will wear better here.

Hope this helps,

Aly

Archived