Complete France Forum

Fosse septique again

BobDee

We moved to France just four months back and are gradually getting familier with all the wonderful differences.

Our house, about 25 years old, has a fosse septique and last week we had it pumped by a local approved company, the name of which was given us by the Marie. An excellent job was done, with both tanks completely emptied and thoroughly cleaned. Tank one takes the toilet waste and tank two the waste from the kitchen and bathroom. We were told by the engineer to fill tank one with water to a depth of about 0.5 metres. Tank 2 has a fat trap which we clear about every 6 weeks.

All the fosse diagrams we have seen show just a single tank for the system, but looking at the pipework and the general layout of our system while the engineer was here, it seems that our two tanks are completely separate from each other and each drains independently into a common run off or absorbtion area.

Does it mean then, that we can use bleach products for the sink and bathroom that goes into tank 2, or do both tanks depend on a bacterial action for correct operation.

Does any one else have a similar system?

BD  

One or two posters on here have suggested that bleach isn't really a problem, anyway, especially in small quantities.  In fact I think somebody said recently that Dometos actually says it's OK for fosses on the bottle.  More worrying is how much of it escapes from the fosse into the environment though.  Having had a septic tank in the UK for 30 years (nice civilised part of Kent, just an hour from London!) this was always the thing that bothered me.

[quote user="cooperlola"]One or two posters on here have suggested that bleach isn't really a problem, anyway, especially in small quantities.  In fact I think somebody said recently that Dometos actually says it's OK for fosses on the bottle.  More worrying is how much of it escapes from the fosse into the environment though.  Having had a septic tank in the UK for 30 years (nice civilised part of Kent, just an hour from London!) this was always the thing that bothered me.[/quote]

This is echoed again today by an article in the Telegraph  here - I've quoted an extract below [hope I'm allowed to do that]

<<Many of us feel uneasy using bleaches and loo-cleaning fluids. However, they don't contaminate the sewers because when they encounter bacteria, they disintegrate. On the other hand, stains in your loo attract germs. So bleaches may not be so bad.<<

The article says a lot to me as using less energy and recycling is something I have believed in for years and I have always consciously tried to do my bit in this area, wherever I could.

Sue

Sue, that article is absolutely fascinating, and for once a really sensible, easy to follow guide that isn't preachy.  The biological washing powder bit is particularly interesting and confirms what I have believed for ages - people seem to think there is something inherently awful about it and yet it has always seemed to me that if it's founded on enzymes - which have to be much like those in our own digestive systems - then I'm hard put to see  the problem.  Nice to see it confirmed.  I've always washed at 40 degrees and am constantly amazed when I read about people having to "boil" stuff.  Excellent stuff.

Thanks Sue,

I did look at that site before I posted but cant see any reference to twin tank systems.

Our system has a manufacturer's label... K A France, an installation date of 1984 and a statement of conformity to regs that existed at the time.

BobD

Our system sounds similar to yours. We have the septic tank which takes only waste from the toilet. All other water goes via the bac a graisse to the drainage field.

The system was already installed when we bought the house, and had been inspected and approved about a year ago.

Cheryl

hi

ok the reason you have 2 tanks is because the main tank is probable more than 10 metres from the house , because fat from the sink will  go solid in the pipe work on a long run they fit a grease trap or in French a Bac degraisseur for the sink waste , this used to run into the drainage field but now goes into the tank on new systems,

so don`t worry about it , also if you look at some javell bottles you will see it says    sans danger pour fosse septic

dave

ps pics of me putting mine in           here       http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=60

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

All other water goes via the bac a graisse to the drainage field.

I thought that all output, had to go through the fosse, not direct to earth, for the system to be up to an approved standard.

[/quote]

hi

ok   1   All other water goes via the bac a graisse to the drainage field  " if possible "

2 I thought that all output, had to go through the fosse, not direct to earth, for the system to be up to an approved standard

it does but if the system passed an approved test when it was put in to comply with the rules at that time it`s ok .

dave

Archived