Complete France Forum

New Build Costs?

Pete.Nina

We are in the process of searching for building land in Southern Burgundy and would be very appreciative of any contacts / websites that could help us. We have contemplated purchasing a derelict property to renovate but see a new build / self build as a better option. We are also very naive as to the New Build costs of a property of around 130 sq metres and  would love good advice from "people in the know" based in France.It will be a few years yet before we can move full time to the region but are keen to purchase land now and get the plans done in advance.

Hello & welcome

Bit of a piece of string question, but budget for around 800-1300€ SqM, depending on what you want/expect, excluding land.

Couple of other points. When you buy land make sure it has a recent Certificat d'Urbanism. I say recent, because you have a limited amount of time (a total of 2 years) to apply for permission to build, then a limited amount of time to commence building. C d'U's are not normally renewable (morethan once) and you cannot assume that a fresh application will be successful. Alternatively, buy land without a C d'U (which will be cheaper) and check the zoning with the local Mairie (they will explain their zoning).

Two links to get you started. Broadly quality for quality every time I have worked through the figures I have found new build to be about 30 % cheaper than renovation.

So why have I another six months work to go on my second renovation ? 

Construire sa Maison  publish “Faire Construire sa Maison”  monthly any of the big Hypermarkets with a Presse section stock it. There is a lot or repetition month to month and lots of the ads quote ‘Nous Consulter’ for price. For ‘key in hand’ finished houses Euros 1000 per square metre is a reasonable average. Note these are normally on Lotisments once you move to an individual plot put  at least another Euros 10000 into the pot.

There is an annual exhibition in Paris in mid September and there are also a number of regional expos with examples of houses from a dozen or so builders.  The bigger turn key companies normally have show homes on the lotisments they are working on.  Also local press normally have ads for show house openings where builders have finished a house and the owners have agreed to a couple of days of people walking through it.

http://www.construiresamaison.com/

http://www.maisonsclairlogis.fr/

There used to be a book list which included 'Contruire ou Renouve Sa Maison' which is so well,illustrated you can almost read it without knowing French. We worth buying

Thankyou very much Gents

Your advice is welcome. The 2 links are excellent and provide lots of ideas for us. 1000 euros per sq metre  seems to be the average cost as this has been backed up today at the French Property Expo in Harrogate. Lots of men in suits trying to sell anything to anyone. I made contact with a couple of companies that were very helpful and will keep contact with them in my search.

To avoid the problem of time running out on the C d`U would it be possible to submit plans before the deadline and if passed begin only a basic ground construction to satisfy the authorities then leave the plot till later for full construction?

Pete

Archived