Complete France Forum

Floor Oil

andyps

I put a new wooden floor in part of my house, completing it just as I returned to the UK at the end of May. It is basically untreated, light coloured wooden planks so I need to protect them from wear and dirt. My preference is to use oil for the floor as it is over a cellar which does get damp (a problem I need to sort and probably should have done first but it is too late now!) so I figure this should allow the floor to breathe better than wax or particularly varnish would.

My question is pretty simple - is it possible to easily buy large tins of flooring oil which are suitable for floors in the DIY shops - M. Bricolage etc and roughly how much are they. Just wondering whether to buy it in the UK or wait till I am back and save having to transport it.

House is on the border of 29, 22 and 56 if it makes any difference.

Andy

hi

ok   take it  with what you say that the floor is a soft wood probable red pine , if this is a highish traffic area i would go with a vitriffcateur , you will not go wrong with v33 expensive but good kit. It`s about €75 for 5 ltrs or on promo for €45 for 6ltrs you got to get `em when the promos are on .

Oils are ok for hard wood but with soft you need the extra protection ,if it`s really high traffic go for the 2 pack one .

here it is on pine , it goes on like milk but dries clear , or of course you can get it tinted

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?action=view&current=Pdr_0142.jpg

dave

if it`s damp there hope you have left a large expansion joint !!!

Thanks for the replies. I will go to Castorama once I get there and have a look, but one which is designed for bathroom floors may be ideal.

Dave, your floor looks really good - hope mine looks as impressive when I have finished. There is a pretty good expansion gap, and lots of nails holding everything down! It is a soft wood, but the label did not say specifically what it was - was a special deal from M. Bricolage last summer.

Andy

Archived