Complete France Forum

Protecting bottom of outside wall

Rtony

We're going to knock off (what's not fallen off) the rendering half way up the front wall of our stone house, clean between the stone, repoint it and leave it bare. We can't go all the way to the top because there's breeze blocks around one of the windows.

Can anyone please recommend what to do, if anything, to protect the bottom 2 or 3 feet from rain splashes. The wall length is c40 feet.

Thanks.

Tony

How about:

(1) Hack-off all the render and paint / texture the breeze block area to blend in.

(2) Make a 300mm high render plinth at low level to the wall.

If you leave the render at high level only it'll make a fine place for water to collect at the break-point and then drip down on to your unprotected wall below.

So,

(3) Apply "Thompsons" or similar waterseal to the newly exposed masonry.

Thanks for the suggestion.

From the downstairs window tops upwards the render is ok, so I've bought some upvc external stop beading to fix where the render will end.

There's a semi circular form at the bottom of the beading, about 12mm dia. As the render is about the same thickness I'm not sure if its supposed to be filled in or not. Perhaps it's for drips?

Alot of people have a couple of feet of render at the wall bottom, would the Thompson's water seal be a good alternative to this?

Regards,

Tony 

I don't quite follow about the 12mm  semi-circular bit. It sounds like that's the area you would normally fill with render leaving only the exposed edge of upvc showing. Got it upside down / wrong way round ? I don't know. Having said all this, maybe fitting it upside down / wrong way around is what suits your purpose by then leaving a pointed drip 12mm away from the wall ! !

The water seal is better than nothing in my opinion, but I'd still go with a rendered plinth.

Archived