Complete France Forum

colour of crepis - pierre apparentes - custom or law?

darnsarf

My Architecte has submitted a declaration de travaux for removing existing crepis (render) and replacing it. The builder recommended pierre apparentes (matching a similar building not far away). He also recommended a lighter shade of crepis.To be honest, the crepis is a bit yellow (a bit like cornish ice cream, though the bulder says it will darken) and certainly not the sombre dark grey of hereabouts. None of the colour/pierre apparantes details were included on the declaration form - it just said something like 'refreshment of exterior'. The Architecte said he prefeerred the dark grey render but we just amically agreed to differ on aestectic grounds. However, I'm now a bit concerned that we may be required to follow the local 'custom' of dark grey.

The house is 350 sqm, not listed and more then 2kms away from a historic monument (which does require colour rules etc be followed) I'm less worried about the pierre apprantes bit since about 20% of houses nearby have this - it's the colour that worries me.

Does anyone know if colour can be regulated in such circumstances? Also, the Mairie have sent the declaration de Travaux papers to Batiments de France. They say they do this as a matter of course. Does anyone have any idea why they have done this since I don't think it has jurisdiction? Any ideas/comment would be very welcome. Am I going to have to change it  back (we're still awaiting approval for the declaration since the Architecte took 9 months to complete it!) and  builders are halfway through already- eek!

It depends on the area and attitude of the local Marie. The legislation exists and I am pretty sure is enforced in areas like Port Grimaud, Honfleur and large cities. Equally when we were renovating our end of longiere the Declaration of Travaux was accompanied by three black and white photocopies of a photograph of the end of the house with the new French windows drawn in in Blue Biro. The very nice lady at the Marie made me fill it in then and there.

Probably they do not know if B de F have an interest and therefore in common with civil servants everywhere take the safest course.

Many thanks for the info. So it seems the Marie maybe holds the 'legal' key. But it seems a bit odd that the architecte and the builder both suggested using very vague terms on the DdT. Early this morning, before catching a flight back to UK (work), I drove around and saw all sorts of colours including newish buildings that seems to be rendered in a similar, but maybe even brighter yellow as well as a fair mix of render and pierre apparantes finishes. So it's obvious that it isn't being strictly adhered to and maybe not even worried about. I suspect we would be able to get away with the light render between the stones but there are turrets on either side and these are rendered - and in the new 'yellow' render reflecting the sun yesterday, they seemed to 'attract the eye' somewhat so I wonder if the mairie will object. My problem is that the house sits on a rocky outrop and the scaffolding has cost a major fortune to set up. I think maybe it might be appropriate to try and get the mayor to take a look before the scaffolding comes down, but that's a bit of a gamble.

Is it possible to use masonary paint on the rendered parts if they insist on the local colour?

If it is "enduit" (a thick, external render) you're discussing, it takes a looooong time to fade. Well... maybe faster in southern climes rather than in picturesquely rain-washed Normandie. [:P]

I don't like the pale cream or pale primrose enduits. Have a look at beige 010 and see whether that's more to your liking. It isn't beige, it's still cream, but it's a slightly deeper, duller cream and I think it works better in the landscape. But I admit I'm a tad anal about colours. [:D]

"Pierre apparente" is visible stonework, ie the stones are cleaned and then pointed. No rendering. Very popular with the Brits, and yes, we have it too!

For colour of the crepis I think you probably meant "ton pierre", which is stone-coloured and usually the common local colour.

Sid

Archived