Complete France Forum

Adding an additional mains outlet to existing partition walls.

BobDee

We have a 1980's built bungalow. All the wiring from the main distribution board is in gaine and there are various inspection/distribution boxes on the solid walls in the house. There are also a number of partition walls that consist of a metal frame work with heavy plasterboard with polystyrene insulation backing. However the wiring to various light switches / power points, on these walls is in semi flexible cable three core cable (no gaine), which presumably met 1980's regs..

I need to add additional sockets to some of these partition walls. I know about the requirment to put cables or separate wires in gaine but getting into these walls is a real pain. The metal framework makes top access difficult especially as the ceiling is tongue and grooved boarding and double skinned as well.

I can fairly easily extend the flexible cable approach but that wouldn't meet the current norms.

How would a professional electrician deal with this?

There is no consuel inspection involved but I would like to get it as correct as possible.

Forthcoming legislation regarding electical installation reports are a concern if we want to sell this place in a few years time, but 90% of French houses do not meet the latest recommendations so extending the existing flexible wiring within the partition walls is a temptation.

Any thoughts?

BobDee 

<< How would a professional electrician deal with this? >>  He or she would probably push a piece of rigid sharpened gaine through the polysterene part of the wall until they reached an upright when they would drill a 63 mm round hole, drill a hole through the upright  and feed the insulated cable through it and conti ue till the next upright 

Anton, Thanks for the response. The uprights are all metal as far as I can determine and drilling horizontal holes in every upright would clearly be difficult. I guess nothings impossible but it looks like the wall would be pretty much wrecked after the exercise. I wonder if the "Professional" would be also be inclined to replace all the "ungained" flexible cable  he encountered whilst putting in the new socket.

The somewhat indirect point of this posting is just how far does one go in bringing electrics up to the current regs?

Most of the light switches in this house have power sockets fitted directly underneath them on a common fused spur. Again presumably the norm for the mid 80's. What I wonder, would an electrical inspection make of that?

Regs

BobDee

If it's metal studding you should be able to find a line of pre-cut holes/slots for cables. The only other way if you want to do a complete re-wire may be to take the boars off one side,re-do your trunking and cables and the re-fix your boards. Otherwise it can be virtually impossible to get through the polystyrene if it's a tight fit.

Regards.

Archived