Complete France Forum

Which order of works?

darnsarf

Our house is being renovated (by artisans, not DIY)

We began with new tiling on the roof and fitting of veluxes. The outside of the house is almost reaching completion with all the old render replaced and pierres apparentes/mortar in place. The inside of the house is now water and weatherproof (and is covered in dust, but there you go!). Next we plan to have the place rewired, new tableau etc, new bathrooms, new kitchen, heating (though existing rads to stay), minor new stud walls to be built, plastering to walls and then a lick of paint. I'm interested in knowing the right sequence for the works. The following seems sensible (to me, anyway!), but could anyone let me know otherwise? I suppose I'm a bit concerned about the plastering bit (I assume the electricians will leave the wiring resting in the unplastered chased out bits awaiting plastering?). I'll be using different artisans/entreprises for each bit, not a single firm, so the sequence/timing is important.

1,    External works (now almost complete)

2,   Internal stud walls (minor), carpentry (skirtings, replacement/repair of doors etc)

3,   Electrical works

4,   New Heating/boiler

5,   Plumbing to bathrooms

6,   Fit new kitchen (new electrics, plumbing will be ready at this point)

7,   Tiling new bathrooms, kitchen

8,    Plastering

9,    Paint and decoration

The wise thoughts of forumites would be much appreciated.

I'd divide the carpentry, plumbing and electrics into 2 "fixes" and do the 1st fixes of all three at stage 3 (plumbing; pipework that needs to be buried, likewise with electrics, carpentry fitting and fixing of doors/frames, etc).

The electrician should leave wired back boxes mounted where possible or glued down at an approriate height where you intend to plaster, whilst the plumber should be able to cap off the ends of all his pipes and pressure test.

Then, finish the house almost to decorative level.

Bring the 3 trades back to "2nd fix", fit bathrooms, kitchens, sockets, lightswitches, tableau etc. Carpenter to fit skirting and architrive etc (almost) last.

Make sense?

There is nothing more irritating for an electrician or plumber (or expensive for the client) than to start chiseling out new plaster or pulling off plasterboard. And boy, does it piss off plasterers...

Archived