Complete France Forum

Precast buildings

ronnie

Has anyone owned or heard any reports of houses built out of precast concrete slabs,

my wife and i are quite interested in a lovely looking bungalow in a nice location, but it is built out of these slabs, so it would be of great help to us if anyone has any feedback about them.

There have been a lot of these constructed in our area for some years now. Unfortunately I have no information to give you regarding suppliers but they are feasible and very fast to build. Perhaps if you google france you will get some further info.

For peace of mind I would check the structure out with a proper expert des etudes if I were yo,the local mairie or notaire would be able to give you a contact. There were many problems back in the UK with precast concrete buildings and the "concrete cancer" problem and the same could have happened here. We have found so many buildings here both old and fairly recent to have many defects where the quality of materials used were no good and have now caused major problems and the supposed skill for construction has had to be redone due to complete rubbish work. One particular house nearby had rain pouring through the southerly gable end where the local builder had simply used sand straight from the beach across the road and my husband had to remove the gable completely and rebuild again with double blocks and new crépi and it was less than 20 years old. As I said, here on the coast many precast houses have gone up in the last ten to fifteen years and all seem to be fine.

Archived