Complete France Forum

using old wood for stoves.

chirpy

In my garden I have some old trees fallen  down up to 5years ago during the December stormf 2000.

They are naturally showing signs of growth of moss and white fungal species.

QUESTION.

CAN THESE BE CUT UP AND USED ON MY STOVE AND IF MEANWHILE  PUT INTO MY WOOD BARN IS THERE A CHANCE OF THE DRY ROT IN PARTICULAR ON THE OLD TREES ATTACKING MY BARN.?????

THANKS.

Some of the most wonderful wood that I have come across has come off of a wood pile. Before you burn any wood like that have a look at this. Sorry it's not the best photo I have taken, but,,,

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Spaltedgoblet.jpg[/IMG]

It was a beech log off of my neighbours log pile in England before we moved over. It is called spalting and is the fungus that breaks the wood down. Now it is sealed it won't grow any more, but it is beautiful and is a shame to burn. there is some peices still in my workshop that we bought with us from England, waiting to be turned into I don't know quite what yet.

Yes it will burn well, BUT what else is hiding in there?

That's very nice work Jon, my BIL always searches through our wood pile when he is over and says the same as you, he becomes very protective of his wood![:)] When we were looking after a friends house here when it was up for sale the Termite inspector came and one of the concerns he had was the wood pile outside, our friends had covered it completely with a tarpaulin and he pointed out that with the humidity and the dark Termites would love it as a breeding ground, he said that the tarp should just run along the top of the pile and as Cooperlola said a little bit of damp on the outside will not stop it from burning well.

regards

My hubbie is very protective of his wood to...... oh, that's too good to burn/use/throw away ..... oh that's a great shape, that might come in useful ..... oh feel the quality of this, it's be a crime to burn it .... oh, what a nice shape, let's keep this one ..... etc, etc, etc

The wood has not been covered as it was intact trees ,minus branches,moved to edge of roadside presmably to be easier to pickup when sold.

When i bought the property it had not been sold a nd some gets alot of water from drains.

So before I give myself a hernia and try and cut some ino useable sizes would you agree this is o.k.

I believe most is chestnut as that is what is mainly in the garden now.

Chestnut tends to spit a bit but should be fine at that age - I've used it successfully in wood-burners for years when back in the UK.  Cut the wood into managable lenghts and stack it out-doors in a criss-cross formation (ie, bottom layer front to back, second layer through 180 degrees, side to side and so on, so it drains and there's air in between each layer.)  Put the wettest wood at the bottom so if it's too far gone to burn you won't waste any more.  Cover with a tarp' and it should dry out sufficiently within a very short time.  Although it may still seem damp to the touch when you burn it, its age will insure that it's not "green" any longer so it shouldn't cause any chimney problems.  Even pretty rotten wood will burn OK even though rather quickly!! 

Archived