Complete France Forum

Bit late on the declaration de travaux....

We had been waiting for about 2 years to get the house renovated. We first commissioned an architecte to draw up plans and also give us a rough budget for the works, select and deal with builders/artisans and handle all the paperwork - the house is about 350m3.

The Architecte was almost unbelievably slow despite being really quick to demand payment as we nudged from stage to stage. In the end, I sourced 2 builders and obtained quotes for an inside and outside renovation. The quotes were about three times more than the Architecte's 'budget' so we commissioned just the outside (new tiles, insulatation to roof, and new crepis on all walls). We'll probably have the inside bits (re-wiring/plumbing etc) done in batches, as budget/artisan availability permits. We're replacing the skylights but keeping them the same size as before.

Builders arrived late April and started erecting the scaffolding (a very major part of the cost as it's over 18 metres high, over a rocky outcrop and additional ramps etc even higher for the turrets). I contacted the Architecte and checked that he had completed/prepared the Declaration de Travaux as promised one month earlier. He said he was on the case. That was 3 weeks ago and the builders have now started stripping the roof. Realising that the Architecte was unlikely to get the paperwork together before the end of the Summer, I called the Mairie yesterday and asked for the forms to be sent to me. They didn't ask, but I suspect they knew the work had started. The builder had been helpful. Whilst making the point that it's my responsibility to sort the paperwork (i.e. not his), he has explained what to put on the form and suggested that many people just don't seem to bother and he's never known any problems as long as there are no changes to the windows/no extensions etc. The house is entirely habitable at the moment so we're not talkiing about a restoration project - just a clean up/modernisation really.

Am I in big do-dos for allowing the work to start without the declaration in place? Can they force work to stop and/or all scaffolding to be removed? Fine? Or will they probably be OK as long as I get the declaration in speedily? Given the size of the scaffolding structure, it's all a bit noticeable.

Any thoughts from those who have not done things in the right order, much appreciated.

P.S. We do want to put in two additional Velux windows which we will need separate permission for but that we can wait a few months for as the works will take at least 3/4 months more to complete.

You could well be if some bigwig decides to pay a visit. In France NO work should ever be started without all the paperwork in place, refusals do happen and you will be made to restore it to the former state at your own expense. Scaffolding needs permission too especially if it is near a road or public right of way and there is usually a letter needed from yourself or the building asking the maire for this and there can be a fixed time to get the work done and the scaffolding down. Don't waste any more time and get those papers in now,you may a maire who dosn't worry too much but its the neighbours and other officials who could cause trouble.

Thanks for your reply.

Given that its new crepis over old falling down crepis and new tiles over old tiles (plus guttering), I'm not sure how I could restore it to its former 'glory'! On scaffolding, the house is about 30 yards away from the lane though there is a footpath which is (a bit) blocked which may cause problems (though nothing can be done, permission excepted). The immediate neighbours all seem fine (and I've explained to them what we're doing and how we've been a bit let down by the Architecte etc) but obviously less immediately local neighbours may feel differently. It's maddening really because I thought I was paying (and had paid) a king's ransom for everything to be entirely above board, and I'm a bit embarrassed and concerned it may go pear-shaped. I also need to check with them whether they mind pierres apparentes instead of drab grey render which was in place before. One house to the left has the former and the one to the right, the latter.

Hopefully tomorrow the form will arrive and I'll DHL it all back to the Mairie to at least get the DdT in place and sort the PdC for that part of the works which hasn't started yet anyway.

Archived