Complete France Forum

grey water discharge directly into the river

Llwyncelyn

Good morning.  Someone we know has just bought a house within the village and was told by the previous owners that grey water from baths showers and dishwasher discharges directly into the river...........and that they have had no problems?

At our home grey water goes one way and the other stuff another! and obviously the other stuff into a fosse.

I had thought it was not appropriate to discharge grey water into the river even though perhaps it is less harmful than the other stuff.

Seeing the plumber with the new owner tomorrow can someone kindly throw some light on it please.  And if its not ok then what is required.

Apparently the house has a 'holding tank' whatever that may be.

rdgs

Our arrangement is very similar (although it doesn't go into a river, just a big sump and therefore eventually into the fields around us).  My understanding (and somebody will no doubt have a difinitive answer) is that although this was acceptable in the past, it is now not and that everybody in the situation you and I are in, will have to have their fosses/drainage systems up-graded eventually.  What seems to me to be the scenario is that we (and thousands of others) are facing the prospect of having to replace the entire system before too long.  But others may know differently....

I think you will find that when you finally get your SPANC inspection you will be asked to stop your grey water going anywhere except into the main fosse septique.This is what is currently happening in our neck of the woods for those not on mains drainage and will be upto you to arrange for the work to be done at your expense before they re-inspect etc.

Archived