Complete France Forum

Bags of hard tile adhesive

chocccie

I've had these bags of Unibond rapid set tile adhesive in storage for a while and they have gone hard.  Not completely, about half a sack is hard and the rest powder.  Most of the lumps are crushing when I break them up with my hand, but there are still some lumps.  I was thinking of chucking it in the cement mixer but am not sure that'll do too much to it.

I've got about 15 sacks of this to use over time!

Any bright ideas?

[quote user="Victor Meldrew"]

Throw them away, if you try to use them you may well be looking at the cost of the tiles as well as the colle, once it goes hard then don't bother with it.

Victor

[/quote]

That would have wasted me a lot of money!  Powders can go hard simply due to compaction ..... I just broke it up with a hammer - it went back to fine powder and it has mixed and dried perfectly normally. 

[quote user="chocccie"][quote user="Victor Meldrew"]

Throw them away, if you try to use them you may well be looking at the cost of the tiles as well as the colle, once it goes hard then don't bother with it.

Victor

[/quote]

That would have wasted me a lot of money!  Powders can go hard simply due to compaction ..... I just broke it up with a hammer - it went back to fine powder and it has mixed and dried perfectly normally. 

[/quote]

Hi

Ok Victor has taken the time to reply to your question and in my oppinion  the right one , so why first have a go at him and second post it in the first place if you are still going to use it ??

Dave

[quote user="chocccie"][quote user="Victor Meldrew"]

Victor

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have an eye for spotting a first!

choccie ,

you may be the first person ever to use a hammer to prepare tile adhesive .

I am sure Unibond ,the manufacturers of the product would double up with laughter if the knew! 

How exactly does what I said constiture "having a go" !  Perhaps you're just a little oversensitive today?  I posted, because this is a forum and posting is what people do.  I was asking if anybody has a good idea for breaking it up, which is quite clear.

Hi Leo - not a bad fall back for DIY - if in doubt, hit it with a hammer!

Did the job perfectly - the bags had compacted down to a hard, but britte lump - a couple of smacks and it reverted to powder.  Floor is now laid and looking great.  [:D]

I'm doing some glazing next ... maybe the hammer won't do so well there if things go wrong!

Archived