Complete France Forum

We've done it!!!

I haven't been around for a little while but I am so excited I thought I would drop by to tell you that we made another trip out to France last week and bought a house!!! We're moving in August and I am counting down the days![:D]

PPS has put 'almost 24' in her profile. I think that's a clue, unless its her age...[:D]

So, Dordogne it is. Did you lose your head and buy something that didn't match up with what you thought you wanted, PPS, or were you sensible?[;-)]

lol! almost 24 is location and not the age... I wish!  Did we lose our heads... well I had imagined something very old in stone with bags of character and instead we bought something a little more modern that has everything we need, plus loads of scope to create something fantastic.  The views were the clincher for us though, it's in a beautiful location, 1km from a village with a school, shop and bar! [:)]

I think in the end we were very sensible - we thought about what the family wanted and needed and also what we didn't want...  the house is very pretty and perfectly liveable right now, we'll need to do some updating and there is room for us to double the living space without breaking the bank!  I think we knew as soon as we saw it that it was the home for us... it's a kind of chemistry thing isn't it... bit like young love!?

We were also very sensible and had a full survey and english speaking solicitor translated all documents for us before we signed... we tried to follow all the rules (and the good advice of the forum of course!), no doubt there will be lots of unforseen challenges to come but so far it has been very pleasant and painless!  or should I not tempt fate!

I am also taking on board advice about what to bring and not bring and have won the battle of the books with OH... so several boxes of novels etc will be coming with us!  anyone want to borrow a book!?[;-)]

What is it with books - you keep books that have been read on the shelf (and some that have not) which will never be reread and you are loathe to throw them out.

Utterly illogical.

I still regret my OH convincing me to throw out some of my books the last time we moved - she will have no such luck when we fully move to France

There is an English Book Exchange on the road out of Gourdon towards Salviac.  You pay 1 euro for paperbacks and 2 euros for hardbacks and you donate any books you don't want. The profits go to an orphanage in India.  It is run by a delightfully eccentric Irish/English couple.  I have bought a lot and donated a few, but, like most of you, I find it very hard to part with any of my books. I always think I will read them again some time (and I often do, but after a twenty year interval).

Hi ChezShells - we're about half way between Bergerac and Périgueux... when are you moving - do you have family moving with you? 

We thought we had ages to get ourselves sorted at the begining of the year but it feels like the days are whizzing passed now! 

We had even more excitement today as we bought a house in the UK too.  We are all sold up here but we wanted to keep a house in the UK as we'll be returning regularly for business... we found a fantastic place with no onward chain... just when we thought we'd never find anything for our budget!  All we have to do now is keep our fingers crossed and in about 10 weeks we'll be heading down!!  This is all getting very real!! [:D]

Archived