Complete France Forum

Devis advice, please

mint

I need to seek some advice from forum members about a devis for installation of a woodburner, an oven and hob and a woodburner oven.

I bought the above items from a shop and agreed to use the installer that the shop recommended.  The items duly arrived (much later than promised and over a period of some 5 months) and we paid for the items as and when they were delivered.  It was all very relaxed and pleasant and we paid each time without being asked.

We paid the installer 50% of his fee when he started work and offered him more money as the items trickled in and he did a bit of work on odd days.  After the initial payment, he has consistently refused anything on account, saying it would be fine for us to settle it all when all the work is finished

Now he's nearly finished, he is claiming a "supplement".  I cannot think what the supplement might be for because he came to the house, surveyed what needed doing, we discussed the way we wanted things done and he went away and produced a devis.  We agreed to the devis (although I thought it on the high side) because we were then new to France, didn't know any tradesmen and were keen to get the work done.

I have, of course, requested a detailed breakdown of the so-called supplement which he is yet to produce.  We meet on Thursday for the final settlement of the bill (though there is perhaps a couple of hours' work to finish off).

Jumping ahead a bit, (I believe you are out-thought before you are out-fought), what if we cannot agree on the extra over?  What is my best course of action and, if the worst comes to the worst, what kind of arbitration body or legal recourse do we have?

We are not talking about a vast sum (about £500 extra) but, as a matter of principle, I would not like to be ripped off and, on the other hand, I also do not want to "do" anyone out of anything.

We agreed the initial sum and he did encounter some contingencies that he did not forsee.  Arguably, that's his lookout as we made very sure he understood that the installation was not going to be straightforward (we even prepared sketch plans of the installation he would need to do).  I am prepared to pay him something extra even if it's his own fault he's miscalculated but, having been seriously ripped off by another tradesman, I am now wiser, less trusting and less willing to just pay up without asking the necessary questions.

Please let me have the benefit of your advice, opinion, experience, etc.  Be assured that I mean to be fair to the man but I also do not want to be some Britannique dude to be fleeced at will!

Simply state that you will not pay any further invoices until you have a detailed breakdown of the extra charge, simple as that because if he cannot explain these costs he is not doing himself any favours for future recommendations. You should mention that you need detailed invoices for tax purposes and what they refer to.

Sweet 17,

The law is quite clear (Art 1134 Code Civil) and your artisan installer cannot ask for more that the agreed devis without justifying the extra costs.

Pay him what you have to up to the agreed devis and insist on a new devis for the rest.

For reference, this is a letter from a consumer's site:

http://www.conso.net/bases/1_pour_comprendre_agir/2_conseils/conseil_450_pre_05_devis_2006.rtf

Val & Clair

Thank you for your excellent advice.  The letter will be useful for me to quote.  This kind of stuff just takes the shine off whatever pleasure you get from the things you are having done to your home.  But, I now feel much better prepared for my meeting on Thursday.

I greatly appreciate your kindness and support.

Archived