Complete France Forum

Weather

Warm dry winters in France? No where escapes the cold and wet here,the Riviera often colder than here in NW Brittany which is very wet and windy even in August sometimes. If you want hot, suggest southern Spain or Portugal or Morocco but not France. I have known several families retreat north because the autumn and winter winds near the Pyrenees are too cold and the north east gets snow.

[quote user="tobycat"]

Hi there

Can anyone tell me which region in France is the best for hot summers and warm dry winters. We want to get away from the cold, damp and wet winters here

Thanks

[/quote]

Not France.

Hot summers, want 45 - 50 deg C

Warm dry winters, 18 - 30 deg C, 2 to 3 hrs rainfall (if you are lucky)

Buy in Dubai, Beckham has a place here ( but everywhere has its downside!!!!!!)[:)]

Hi Lynda and Richard

Thanks for that. Can you tell me if the weather is a dry or humid heat? Also in your opinion where would be the best areas to buy to be able to integrate with the french people but also have a bit of land to grow veg and keep animals? We would prefer a rural location.

Thanks again

Susan Way

Be wary basing your decision on one winter; in the Tarn, where we are, we have had a mild winter, but the last few years have almost without exception had temperatures as low as minus ten. We are susceptible to the continental climate just as the Centre. Despite a previous posting to the contrary, I would say that if it's definitely France you want, then you have to go to the extreme south-east, or Corsica. The presence of olive trees and citrus indicate mild winters.

I would point out that the far SE does not necessarily indicate mild winters.  Provence is famous for its harsh landscape and Olives are hardy to -9C and Citrus trees around -5C.  Hardly mild!

Rgds

[quote user="plod"]Despite a previous posting to the contrary, I would say that if it's definitely France you want, then you have to go to the extreme south-east, or Corsica. ...[/quote]

La Reunion and Maurice are better still, though a bit further away.

John

not

• 2 weeks later...

Archived