Complete France Forum

Fosse septique inspections.

Patf

Just thought I would report on our recent inspection, if anyone's interested. We moved here fro another part of the Gers last year and the house documents said there was no assainissement system. Though there is a toilet and the stuff goes somewhere. We had got estimates for a new system, all about 8000e, so too much. So we were rather dreading this inspection. However, not so bad - he said there IS a fosse septique but it's buried and there will be a cover to access it. There's a manhole cover where you can see all the pipes - which we knew about. Grey water drains into the fosse on the lane - not so good. He suggests making a bac a graisse to cut down polution from grey water, and empty fosse septique every 6-7 years! He will send a report to the Maire and evidently from now on it's up to the Maire to go round to people's houses and check they are keeping to the regs. Could take up to 4 years. So now we'll have to find out how to make a bac a graisse. I should add that there are several houses around us with the same system.

We have just pruchased our house in Haute Vienne and the fosse septique was given a full clean bill of health, apparently something which isnt done too often, so I dont know if to file the certificate or frame it!!!

Hope it all works well for you

Frame,frame it!!!!! We have  problems with ours,but getting the suitable info from the water authorities who are supposedly in control of the situation is nigh on impossible.They only send us the order forms to engage "consultants" at a min of 435euros to carry out a survey.Trouble with this is that once engaged,they then open up a file at the Mairies!The local French are just doing nothing-until the next revolution.They dont have the money(likewise) but dont want mains drains either(ruled out by the hierarchy) cos it costs roughly 8 euros per cubic meter of water used.What goes in also comes out!!!And so it goes on.Ive never spent  so much of my life talking about,discussing,thinking about,and worrying about depletion of my shrinking bank balance as the last 5 .Dont want to even spell "FOSSE SEPTIQUE"

Maude

Good for you Robbie! Maude, I would put off spending any money on your system, as I think the authorities are realising that most people are satisfied with their existing system and anyway can't afford to change it. I heard from a friend that many people are refusing to pay the fee for the inspection. What can they do if you refuse to pay? As far as not conforming to the regs are concerned I think the only legal charges which can be brought at the moment is prosecution for polluting the waterways. Another thing I heard was that even if you spend 4000e on a new bac a sable the sand will need to be changed every 5 years at great expense. Can't confirm this but could be right.

We`ve been here 8 months and still can`t find our fosse. So we`ve decided to leave well alone as so far we have no problems.

Fingers crossed.

PS what happens if after inspection of this elusive fosse we are then told we will need a new one and we say ¨sorry we are broke and would have to sell a kidney to pay for it¨

would my OH then have to book into hospital for the op?

Archived