Complete France Forum

6kw or 3kw ?

joidevie

I've currently got an ancient electricity connection which is being replaced soon. The technician who visited mentioned that 3kw could well be enough for the house. I will have Gaz central heation and gaz cooker. 3 bedrooms dishwasher & washing machine. Quite a lot for halogen spots.. A TV and stereo..

Is there a great difference in tarif between the two ?

Many thanks.

[quote user="joidevie"]I've currently got an ancient electricity connection which is being replaced soon. The technician who visited mentioned that 3kw could well be enough for the house. I will have Gaz central heation and gaz cooker. 3 bedrooms dishwasher & washing machine. Quite a lot for halogen spots.. A TV and stereo..

Is there a great difference in tarif between the two ?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

Assuming that you are using the gas to heat your water, then 3Kw could do you. Tariffs for 3KW & 6KW are 69€ and 88€ per annum, respectively (TTC!). Electricity is the same price (11c) for either tariff.

EDF will do a study, if you ask them.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

watts = volts times amps. Kilo watts = 1000 watts.  Amps = watts devided by volts.

6.0 Kilowatts ( at 2220 volts) = just over 27 amps

[/quote]

As a quick rule of thumb for us thickos I always muliply the number of kilowats by 4 and then I know I've got a small margin to spare. So in Anton's example my rough answer would have been 6 x 4 = 24.

I'd go for the higher level- it's not much more per year and then you won't have to worry about the whole house tripping in the pitch black .

Hairdryers, washing machines, kettles, microwaves.....

But maybe I lack a sense of adventure?????[:-))]

?? Have I got this right .... 24euro for 3kw and 61 for 6kw ?

puissance

souscrite

(kVA)
réglage

disjoncteur

(A)
abonnement

annuel TTC

(euros)
prix du kWh

TTC

(euros)

15 24,28 0,1325
6 30 61,75 0,1085
9 45 121,83 0,1085
12 60 174,69 0,1085
15 75 227,56 0,1085
18 90 280,42 0,1085
24 40 468,57 0,1085
30 50 656,72 0,1085
36 60 844,87 0,1085

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]Tariffs for 3KW & 6KW are 69€ and 88€ per annum, respectively (TTC!). Electricity is the same price (11c) for either tariff.

EDF will do a study, if you ask them.

[/quote]

Nick where do you find these figures as they are at odds with the ones on the link I posted earlier?

Danny

[quote user="joidevie"]... dishwasher & washing machine. Quite a lot for halogen spots.. A TV and stereo..

[/quote]

With just 3kW you would probably have to avoid dishwasher and washing machine on at the same time.  I would go for 6kW myself, but it's not difficult to upgrade later.  EDF just comes along and slots in a higher rated breaker.

Phil.

There is also an interesting effect if you have an electric chauffe-eau. You are sitting in the bath, topping up merrily with hot water, when the thermostat decides it is time to warm the tank. It is at this point that if you have a low abonnement, you are suddenly cast into outer darkness.

Deep joy !

[quote user="La Guerriere"]

There is also an interesting effect if you have an electric chauffe-eau. You are sitting in the bath, topping up merrily with hot water, when the thermostat decides it is time to warm the tank. It is at this point that if you have a low abonnement, you are suddenly cast into outer darkness.

Deep joy !

[/quote]

maybe .....but they have 2220 volts  it will heat the tank in seconds....adsl v dial up  for french electrics , where do I sign up

dave

[quote user="La Guerriere"]

Deep joy !

[/quote]

Not if you are clever enough to have a "delesteur" installed in your tableau electrique. I recommend them to my clients who wish to have the benefits of a low KW abbonnement (and thus a lower standing charge from the EDF).  The French have been using them for years. Not many Brits know about them so we try to sell their benefits when doing electrical installations.

A delesteur is a clever box that can be set to tempoary switch off non priority circuits when you reach your EDF prescribed limit in KW. Properly set up you will rarely have to re-set the EDF disjoncteur !

Our Uk imported friend the electric kettle is probably responsible for more trip outs than anything else. A Delesteur will sense when you plug in your 3KW kettle and can then switch off your chauffe eau ( or whaetever else you want) just whilst the kettle boils and then automatically switch it back on again once the kettle has boiled.

More and more people are now having the main EDF disjoncteur placed togther with the EDF meter in the coffret outside, on the limits of their land - in fact if the distance is more than 30 metres it is obligatory now, so if you want to avoid long trips down the garden to re-set the EDF trip - try a delesteur - trust me I know !!

http://www.punchardrenovation.com

Archived