Complete France Forum

Re Red streaks or red pigment

ams

We have noticed that our white Crepi is slowely turning red. Red streaks or red pigment is appearing on all walls. we have also noticed that other houses in our area seem to suffer from the same problem.

Does anyone know what is happening.

Does anyone know how to stop or reverse the colour change.

Someone suggested spraying the walls with javel and then painting.

Could it be some form of french revenge for what Liverpool did to Bordeaux and Marseilles this year. !!!

ams

[quote user="ams"]

We have noticed that our white Crepi is slowely turning red. Red streaks or red pigment is appearing on all walls. we have also noticed that other houses in our area seem to suffer from the same problem.

[/quote]

It's champignons, or rather that's what it is called here; a kind of fungus which appears on the crepi after a couple of years. We will be going down the spray-with-mild-solution-of-javel route later this year - if only to stop the visits frm the cold-calling man-in-a-van who offer to remove the champignons for a huge fee.

Edit: unless the fungus has got a dreadful hold I don't think it will be necessary to paint the crepi after spraying with bleach; at least I have not heard you need to do this.

Sue

Fully agree-we were quoted 750 euros for one garage wall and the garden wall!600 for cash!Cost 12 euros for a barge full of water soluble anti mousse which I sprayed on-end of problem !It is some kind of rosea champignon,but I have only seen it here in France!  Maude

Archived