Complete France Forum

New doorway

Jackie

I want to cut a doorway for a 73cm door in an internal non-load bearing wall. The wall is made of the thin hollow red brick blocks that seem to be common place in France. I was thinking of using an angle grinder with a masonry cutting wheel. Do you need to fit a lintel in this case, in which case do I cut a slot and fit the lintel first or will the door frame be sufficient? All comments gratefully received..................................John

Yes there is a beam along the top of the wall but all the other beams each side and parallel to it are unsupported except by the outside walls of the house. I dont think any of them are load bearing as the roof is supported by other beams further up which also sit on the house walls. These beams are not tied to each other in any way other than by the floorboards in the Grenier above. There are not any vertical beams to the roof beams bearing on the beams which form the ceiling to the room in question. I suspect that the internal wall I am concerned with was put in just to divide up a larger area..................J

Archived