Complete France Forum

French paint

Vlad

Is it just me or is the whole issue of finding the right sort of paint (emulsions, undercoats, glosses etc) in France a nightmare? I'm talking internal paints here - I haven't dared go onto external stuff yet!

There seems to be an entire new world of (very expensive) acrylic emulsions which have very poor coverage ability.

Has anyone come across a guide or source of recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

The best posting I ever saw on the UK Screwfix site was Title  'Once'  Text -  'Oh no it is not'. We have used Astral and found that on plasterboard, not a very forgiving surface provided the board has a white undercoat it delivers exactly the coverage promissed on the plastic box. We are going to run a price comparison this February on B&Q/Castorama colours everywhere,Beneton paint and probably Leroy Merlin own label.  Problem with buying in the UK is you tend to buy the extra box 'cause you cannot guarantee a match if you run out. I also think people remeber prices from five years ago and compare with current French prices.

You're right. Monocouche should read multicouche!

It's not so much that UK paint is cheaper it is more that you really go into the unknown with the French stuff.

Actually I've found "GoOn" (great name) emulsion in Bricomarche at the ridiculously cheap price of 5Euro for 10 litres of Vinyl Matt is as good as anything six times the price!

We've found it hard to find good quality paint in the local DIY sheds, so tend to bring over from the UK (but we are holidayhomers so have the opportunity). I have found that the gloss gives a good finish, but is hard work, and the monocouche gives effectively a mist coat. But we haven't been able to test out the good quality stuff (but I must because the front door is peeling).

Archived