Complete France Forum

Typical gaz (de villle) consuption kWh ?

joidevie

I'm just diciphering the various tariffs for Gaz de Ville usage for a new contract with the 2 main suppliers.

GDF offer a low abonnement/slightly higher unit price for usage below 6 000 kWh pa.

EDF offer an 'option cuisson/eau chaude' for a similar use pattern, though no 6k ceiling, just not including chauffage.

Both offer cheaper unit prices with higher abonnements.

My barn is used around 20-35% of the year (currently) and is in Languedoc (heating required say 3-4mths a year). All hot water, heating & cooking run from an efficient combi boiler. There is a good chiminée downstairs too..

Roughly how many kWh could I expect to use pa? 3 Bedrooms (not all heated during winter, maybe one) 2 baths and a large open plan Kitchen/sitting room.. All newly insulated but with high ceilings..

Would it be sensible to save on the abonnement and pay the slightly higer unit price in this situation? Also, EDF specify 'option cuisson/eau chaude' or 'option chauffage'. Is it 'obligatory' to take the option chauffage or is this just a rate structure? Also, I have heard that once I leave EDF, I cannot ever return to them.. Is this something to take into account or will this change in the future?

Many thanks.. And I know this may be like asking how long is a piece of string!

[quote user="joidevie"]... Also, I have heard that once I leave EDF, I cannot ever return to them.. Is this something to take into account or will this change in the future?[/quote]

This particular aspect (once you leave, it's or ever) has been postponed until 2012 (or maybe 2010?), so provided you stay with another supplier (or EDF unregulated tariff) for a minimum of 6 months, you would be able to return to EDF's regulated tariff.

Ah sorry, I read your post as being in the past tense, like when you said ....the barn is used........

There's probably no good way of knowing what you will use.  Is there a scheme that you can pick for the first year that will not lock you in and then re-assess based on actual usage?  Then at worst, you only run the risk of not being on the optimal tariff for one year.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Ah sorry, I read your post as being in the past tense, like when you said ....the barn is used........

There's probably no good way of knowing what you will use.  Is there a scheme that you can pick for the first year that will not lock you in and then re-assess based on actual usage?  Then at worst, you only run the risk of not being on the optimal tariff for one year.

[/quote]

No problem.. I think I'll just go for a 1 year GDF deal combined with the electricity.. It's only €2 for the 3k electricity and €5 for the gaz - and the unit costs are not too much more.. That way I can adjust later on..

Many thanks

Archived