Complete France Forum

how to cover stonework

cowoman

Personally if it were me, I would never paint the stone work. I think lime plaster is beautiful and also if anyone in the future wanted to expose the stonework again it would be fairly easy. Whereas once you have painted it, I would imagine it would be much more difficult to remove not to mention not nearly as pretty in my opinion.

Thanks for that

We havnt moved in yet but hope to do so soon.The people who owned it before us have had these aches put in and I hate arches !! So we need to cover the right hand one up or make it into a bookshelf or something the other has got to have a door frame put in then covered around frame in plaster.Am I right in thinking that lime plaster goes directly on the stones and has a rough finish?My son is going to plaster the other parts of the house with plasterboard etc(he is a plasterer)Any suggestions are most welcome

thanks

[quote user="Russethouse"]I'd change that yellow 'feature' wall though - but we are all different [:)][/quote]

Totally agree RH, it definately wants to be sky blue with a row of porceline ducks mounted obliquely [:P]

Seriously though, I was going to say the same thing, a bookcase and door would fit nicely. Please don't cover up that stone just for the hate of the arches [kiss]

No the room has a large window.The arches  were put in because the owner wanted it all open with no doors.I think there is only a few doors on the inside of the whole place.We have got a lot of changes to make but cant wait to get in there to start.

[quote user="cowoman"]I think the doorway idea sounds good but i really do hate arches!!!The stones look soooo ugly as well,i think its because they are big.I also hate that yellow wall,thats definetly got to go.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, if you don't like all those 'features' why did you buy it [:)]

Is the yellow chimney breast plasterboard because if it is you might find those thin horizontal clay tiles underneath but powerdelal is right, if you paint between the beams white the room wont look so heavy. I have the impression that the chimney is misisng its original stone lintel... am I right?

I have to agree with Powerdesal about arches and they don't look new to me. I know in the UK arches aren't very desirable and can look a bit dated, but I think lovely in an old stone French property.  I too wish I had some. [:)]

I also prefer larger stone built walls over smaller stones. Having said that, for me at least, it can feel oppressive with too many stone walls, so I do love mostly plastered walls. I too think painting the yellow white would brighten and make a difference. However,again, if it were me (not that you asked [:D]), I would look at plastering the wall with the wood burner and leave the stone arches and replace the stone lintel on that lovely fireplace as Gemonimo pointed out. 

By the way, it looks a lovely house. Whatever you decide to do I hope you post the after photos. [:)]

P.S. If Tandem_Pilot could see what we are changing in our house he would think we were mad for buying, this is nothing! Unfortunately, most days I do ask myself this question.[:$]

Thanks for all comments,I will paint the yellow wall. in a warm white and ceiling and just see what it looks like.If it looks better i suppose i will live with it for a while .I know I will need to make the one arch into a bookcase of some sort and the other into a doorway,but if it looks ok in stone then maybe i could leave it as it is

I knew I needed to make changes when I bought the place and its not a huge problem but its just knowing how to go about it in a way that dont cover up all the character of the place.Thats what is good about this forum,to be able to get different ideas.I think the stone shelf makes sense over fireplace,I think it probobly used to be stone once upon a time.Thankyou

[quote user="cowoman"]

Thanks for all comments,I will paint the yellow wall. in a warm white and ceiling and just see what it looks like.If it looks better i suppose i will live with it for a while .I know I will need to make the one arch into a bookcase of some sort and the other into a doorway,but if it looks ok in stone then maybe i could leave it as it is

I knew I needed to make changes when I bought the place and its not a huge problem but its just knowing how to go about it in a way that dont cover up all the character of the place.Thats what is good about this forum,to be able to get different ideas.I think the stone shelf makes sense over fireplace,I think it probobly used to be stone once upon a time.Thankyou

[/quote]

The bookcase idea sounds really pretty. I would suggest doing what makes you happy, either way it will be lovely. Speaking of getting differing opinions, I can't decide on an open kitchen or not and the very strong different opinions some people have given me has just confused me even more.  Perhaps I should start a thread and poll on having an open kitchen or not. [:D] Good luck on your move.

[quote user="cowoman"]what is your kitchen like now?Can you post a photo? suppose at the end of the day we make our own minds up dont we ?[/quote]

If I did have a photo it really wouldn't help because it has a partition wall that we will probably take down. It isn't ideal, but I feel it is all we can do to make it bigger and also to allow more light in. However, I have learned that many people feel very strongly (both ways) about open plan kitchens.[:)]

I agree with you about making our own minds up but sometimes it is good to get another perspective. I sometimes get so bogged down in the renovation and become narrow minded because a few times an outsider has made a passing statement on what may be a good idea that seems so obvious after I have been scrutinising it for weeks. [:$]

We are just going to open our kitchen up, I think there are issues of tidiness and smell but if you deal with those by having enough storage and a good extractor and it suits the way you live, why not?

In our case it is because our dining room has become a dingy  corridor, we have to go through it to get to the extension which currently houses the kitchen, by swapping the dining room and kitchen around and having a couple of velux windows in the roof we should make better use of the space and light.

That's the plan !

I Know its hard to do but you do have to try and enjoy all this renovation malarky really.I know what you mean about an outsider just being able to look and see something straight away.I think when you are so close to something you develop tunnell vision.Its so important to get it right as well.I like an open kitchen and hope to open ours up more.I dont like the look in England but in France its good I reckon.We rented a barn a while ago and it was lovely even though we had just one big room.Ideally i would have my house like this with the addition of a small tv room.Anyway im sure whatever you decide will be great,

Archived