Complete France Forum

Dewi Water Heater - opinions please

Rob Roy

A friend who is doing some renovations asked my OH about installing Dewi Water Heaters. We are not sure whether they would be suitable for the French system of plumbing and would be grateful for any opinions from any plumbers, electricians and/or others experts out there.

This is a link giving you the information we have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280201971395&ru=http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/280201971395_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Thanks.

Couple of reasons not to;

As Anton points out the bigger ones are too big for a French supply. The smaller ones (@1.9L/min 40 degrees) are going to be useless for anything other than handwashing.

They can't be installed as illustrated in their eBay ad (in France)

I doubt if they are approved for use in France

And, if they worked here, they'd be sold here. (Along with instant heat showers and electric CH boilers).

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

A friend who is doing some renovations asked my OH about installing Dewi Water Heaters. We are not sure whether they would be suitable for the French system of plumbing and would be grateful for any opinions from any plumbers, electricians and/or others experts out there.

This is a link giving you the information we have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280201971395&ru=http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/280201971395_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Thanks.

[/quote]

Why not suggest to your friend that solar is a better option for domestic hot water because, it works in France, and once you've installed it, then its free to run.

www.poolguy.fr then choose 'prodcuts' and 'heating'

Let me know if I can help.

Andrew

Nick, we tend to agree with you. I'm not sure what kW they have at the house, but can't really see that they would work any better than the instant showers at you say. Not sure why they don't just install an immersion like most of the rest of us do!

To give us a better arguement against them could you explain please what you mean by 'They can't be isntalled as illustrated in their e-Bay ad (in France)"

Why would you need more arguments against their use?

If these people are stupid enough to want to go against reality, why not let them suffer the cost of their own intransigence?

I would guess what  Nick probably means is that one cannot install any electrical fitment in France nearer than a set (unreachable) distance from a shower, basin etc on the grounds of personal safety: and the eBay illustration shows the water heater sitting right alongside a water source.

In any case, as Nick also states, they are not type-approved in France.

The simple reasons such instant surface heating devices were so popular in the UK was since most UK domestic DHW (Domestic Hot Water) was predicated around an open vented storage tank which provided the water "head": to fit a shower therefore involved two storage tanks; one for Hot and one for Cold to balance feed pressures.

Instant Heat showers overcame this problem and were far simpler to install.

In France, since  DHW is mains pressure, obviates the extra tank problem.

As more installations in the UK switch to Combi type boilers and the UK version of a ballon, these electric showers will die out, excepting for quick spec flat conversions with no DHW facilities.

It constantly amazes me that people buy houses in France and cannot be bothered to "Bone Up" on local regulations and normes.

Surely, even if one is seeking local artisans to do all the refurb and improvement work, without some basic local knowledge it's a recipe for disaster and being ripped off?

Archived