Complete France Forum

Holidays in August

Pauline ...............

Well, there's nothing wrong with coming over at that time, as long as you realise that:

• Some Immobiliers may be on annual hol, so contact-making impossible
  • It's obviously a lot busier on the roads
  • You shouldn't judge an area (for better or worse) on what it's like in August

Having said that, it's good to make at least some contacts with agents, even if only getting phone numbers / email addresses for a subsequent follow-up.  Getting a 'feel' for the area you think you like is a precursor to a later (when the weather is less 'blue sky') serious viewing visit - and for that, you need to have made appointments in advance via the agent.  They don't respond well (if at all) to the 'turn up at 11.55, can we see that property in the next hour or so' approach.

So, in summary, my suggestion would be to use the trip to finalise the area(s) you're keen on, make as many contacts as you can and leave your specific and detailed requirements with those contacts, all with a view to a 2nd appointment-type trip in a further month's time.

Hi Gardian

Thanks for that advice, this is our second trip we came over in July to look around the south and ran out of time and want to return to complete our area search, we decided on max of 11/2 hrs from Toulouse, we visited Tarn, Albi, Mazamet and around the villages, we met a really helpful immobilier who spent a day with us quite unexpectedly, so I guess we will just come over and continue our area search and if there are places open all well and good, if not I guess we will have to come back sooner for another trip (brilliant).

Pauline

Archived