Complete France Forum

New Extension Costs and recommendations

tonybugue

Hi

We have a 25 year old typical pavillion type property near Le Bugue (24) which we plan on extending in the form of a 2 storey pigeonnier type construction, with about 25-30 sq metres on each of the 2 levels.  This would sit against the existing construction (offfset so that it protrudes to form a slight L shape (so no complicated adaptations to the existing building).  Does anybody have any idea of the costs of building this to a reasonable specification, including tiling & bathroom.  Any recommendations for a local builder or architect would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Tony

A very rough guide would be €1,000 per sq m of floor space, so in your case about 50,000 - 60,000. Costs for new builds can be higher but I'm allowing for not needing a kitchen and having all the services etc. already in place. Realistically it could be anything from 40K (if you're really lucky) to 100K depending on your definition of a reasonable specification.

I now sit back and wait for people with more experience to shoot my figures down.

Thanks for the replies.  I did have a figure of around £50,000 (65000 euros - ish) in my mind, so that's in the same sort of range.  The idea of contacting the original builder is one I hadn't thought of - that's if they are still in business.

Any opinions on whether in general it is best to employ an architect to oversee the whole project, or just go direct to builders who will use their own architect?

Thanks again

Tony

As you will probably be exceeding the 170 sq m SHON limit, which means you need an architect anyway, I'd go for hiring one directly. Chances are that you'll get a more personal service and you'll have a professional advisor if things go wrong with your builder. Of course you also hear of people falling out with their architects....

[quote user="tonybugue"]Thanks Albert - as the property is currently only about 90 sq m, it will still be under the 170 limit.[/quote]

Sounds like you should be OK, but remember that SHON is calculated a bit oddly. It includes the wall thickness but you can knock off certain bits so if you are borderline it might be worth getting an accurate figure.

If you want to have an architect, rather than just a draughtsman, involved then I still think it's worth retaining one directly.

Archived