Complete France Forum

Mystery of the missing Soakaway....

barneysfriends

friends are buying a house that has a fosse toute eau thingy, but the local inspector has been unable to find evidence of a 'soakaway', or any other form of drainage. The seller claims that the fosse was installed 3 years ago, but has no paperwork to prove it.....job was done as a 'favour' by a pal. Any ideas about what sort of drainage there might be that isnt obvious? Should my friends back off in case it 'backs up'? 

• 2 weeks later...
I agree we are just going down the legal road as one of our wc went straight into the fields and not the fosse septic,the sellers claimed it had been done a few years before properly connected to fosse septic.if when you flush loos and empty sinks you cannot hear it running into fosse septic(if possible to lift lid)smell a rat as stated or worse if your not careful.    

[quote user="barneysfriends"]friends are buying a house that has a fosse toute eau thingy, but the local inspector has been unable to find evidence of a 'soakaway', or any other form of drainage. The seller claims that the fosse was installed 3 years ago, but has no paperwork to prove it.....job was done as a 'favour' by a pal. Any ideas about what sort of drainage there might be that isnt obvious? Should my friends back off in case it 'backs up'? [/quote]

Tell them to go and talk too the local Town hall.

The people there will help.

Archived