Complete France Forum

Tipping the Removal Men?

Hi.

Removal Company came to today to begin packing for our move to Germany (sorry!) on Tuesday. They return on Monday to finish off and then will meet us at our new house.

They have so far done an excellent job and I just wondering if it is usual for them to recieve a tip when they have completed the job? If so how much should we give ( there are three of them). Is it best to give Euro's or Pounds?

Thanks.

P.s We are not complete traitors as we do have a French house as well! (We moved ourselves)

I run a sizeable transport company (mainly backwards and forwards to the local cave) and I suggest you give at least 100€ to each man and double that to the driver. [:D]

Seriously, I am against tipping simply to someone doing their job even if it is low paid, but when you've spent three or four days in the company of people you can see are doing a difficult job in a friendly and sensible manner then even I would be tempted to tip.

As far as how much, only you can decide that.

[quote user="St_Jacques"]

Hi.

Removal Company came to today to begin packing for our move to Germany (sorry!) on Tuesday. They return on Monday to finish off and then will meet us at our new house.

They have so far done an excellent job and I just wondering if it is usual for them to recieve a tip when they have completed the job? If so how much should we give ( there are three of them). Is it best to give Euro's or Pounds?

Thanks.

P.s We are not complete traitors as we do have a French house as well! (We moved ourselves)

[/quote]

If you give 100 euros to be divided  between them ,they will be delighted !

If the removal men are helpful (which they almost always are), then a good 'bung' is totally appropriate.

We gave them £120 + €50 between the two of them, for what amounted to nearly 4 days looking after our possessions. I thought that it was a bit mean, but they reassured me that it was generous!

It's not just the 'bung' though - it's how you treat people who are helping you make the move, i.e. providing food on arrival, shower facilities before they set off back etc.  These guys are professional in what they do and deserve to be treated accordingly - from what they told us, it isn't always so.

I'd say, be as generous as you feel able.  As a % of the cost of moving, it's twice the square root of F.A.  

Archived