Complete France Forum

The 170 sq m thingy

Le_Jars

I understand that if I want to renovate or change somewhere that is over 170 sq m I have to get an architect involved. Is this 170 sq m just the base area of the project? For example I have a barn I want to convert into a home. The base area of it is about 105 sq m. But it will have a first floor etc. Does this have to be counted on top? ie would that make it 210 sq m?

Sorry if this sounds thick, but I don't fully understand this bit  [8-)]

The 170 m2 figure refers to floor area so 10 floors @ 105 each  = 1050m2

I suggest that you first apply for planning permission to convert part of the barn only, say 150 m2, thus dealying/avoiding the need for a French reg architect. At a later date when you are ready to do the remainder you will just need said architect for 60m2 and lower fees. We did something similar.

John

If any work you are undertaking brings the new total habitable space to more than 170m2, then you do indeed have to have your plans signed off by an architect.

The definition of habitable includes (I think I'm right in saying) lounges, dining rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, but not bathrooms.

From the sounds of it, whether I'm exactly right about the definition, yours will be comfortably over the 170m2.   

[quote user="Gardian"]

If any work you are undertaking brings the new total habitable space to more than 170m2, then you do indeed have to have your plans signed off by an architect.

[/quote]

And many architects insist on preparing their own plans, refusing to sign off those of A.N. Other

John

It's the total floor area counting all floors, minus certain deductions, so in your case you probably fall into the 'need architect' heading.

That said, it depends on the design.

Start by measuring each floor to the outside of the walls and calculate the area.

Subtract any open bits, such as an unenclosed porch.

Subtract any space used as a garage.

Subtract any areas where the ceiling height will be less that 1m80.

Subtract any loft areas where the floor is 'not capable of supporting a load'.

Subtract any cellars without openings (windows or doors) to the outside.

Subtract any voids, such as the 'hole' in the upper floor where the staircase passes through.

There's a detailed set of rules here:

http://www.architecte-paca.com/shon-shob/shon.php

There's a simpler version, including a diagram, here:

http://www.divonnelesbains.fr/3-708-SHOB-SHON-COS-.php

But my favourite version is here:

http://www.libel.fr/doc/SHON-SHOB/shon.html

Thanks very much for all that info. It looks like I'll have to get an architect involved as virtually all the space inside the barn will be used in some way. Not necessarily a bad thing as I've heard lots of good stories of helpful and inventive architects around here, despite their cost!

Thanks again for your help.

Archived