Complete France Forum

I've found a buyer for my French property - what's the next step in selling it privately?

We've found a potential buyer for our French cottage and didn't use an estate agent, so it's just contact between us and the buyer.  He now wants to proceed?  What do we do next?  How do we get a compromis de vente prepared?

If we'd used an agent then obviously they'd look after all these things but I wonder if we have to go to a notaire for this.

Also, someone told me that all properties must be sold with the French equivalent of a Home Information Pack on them, stuff like an energy survey, termite survey, etc.  Do we need to get tehse done?  Our buyer doesn't seem concerned about them but are they a legal requirement? Certainly the new house that we're buying (through an estate agent) had all of these reports attached to the compromis de vente that we've signed and this agent deals with all the legal stuff.

But on the sale side, what do we do to progress this along by ourselves?

Any advice is appreciated.  As there's so many properties being sold privately then surely someone has gone down this road before us and can give us the benefit of their experience.

Many thanks everyone

I suggest you go to a local Notaire near to your property. He/She will tell you all the requirements and set the legal work in motion. If uncertain where the Notaires are to be found, ask at your Mairee. Things may be a bit slow this month as many French people take their holidays.

Baz

You will need to get the heating, asbestos, lead, and in some cases termite reports done.  The Notaire will not be able to process the sale without them.

I'm sure that if you haven't arranged then yourself then the Notaire will set it up for you. However it may be cheaper and quicker if you do it yourself.

If you do a search on French Google for                   Expertise, plomb , termite, amiante

You will find all manner of people ready to take money from you both national and regional.

Archived