Complete France Forum

Pergola

SENCO

We are hoping to build a pergola off the end of the house this summer, to measure about 4m x 5m. Although there will be no roof on it of course it will catch the wind etc when plants have grown up and over it so I need to make sure it's robust - are there any guidelines or books on timber sizes etc for building one of these or is it best to just go and look at someone elses? Do I need planning permission for a pergola of this size, - and if i do is there a size I gan build that does not require it?

Thanks

No, you don't need permission for a pergola.

We're hoping to change from a "detached" one to a "semi" next year and have started looking at others in the area to get an idea on design. I expect you can find something on the web if you can't design one yourselves.

Good luck,

Aly

I built our pergola with stuff I got from one of the garden centres. The name os the wood people are HillhouT and therir wood is pressure treated and gaurenteed for 10 years. I used metpost type things to mount the uprights and that saves rither concreting them or shoving them in holes in the ground. They supply all of the correctly cut lengts for just about any size. OK it's a bit more than a complete DIY, but it's pressure treated as I said.

Ours now has 2 vines growing over it and looks good and provides sme lovely shade by the pool too.

Archived