Complete France Forum

Terrains de Loisir

We are interested in buying a Terrain de Loisir and putting a mobile home on it.  However, I did read on one site that you are not allowed to have a fosse septique (or water & electricity).

We've also seen properties advertised with a chemical toilet - where would one empty this, I wonder, bearing in mind our responsibility to the environment.  On holiday in Brittany a few weeks ago, a French-registered campervan pulled up at some public toilets and the driver emptied his cassette in both the Gents and Ladies toilets, creating mess and smell - and upsetting several ladies who wished to use the toilets!

If anybody could help with some information I would be very grateful.

Angelite

Welcome to the forum Angelite.

You will need to check with the Mairie/Hôtel de Ville in the area where you are considering buying to find out what you can and can't do with a Terrain de Loisir. There are probably national guidelines but how they are interpreted will normally be down to the local powers that be.

As for chemical toilets these are often referred to in the camping and caravanning world as the bucket and chuck it brigade. Make your own mind up on that one! A few of the more responsible users will dig a hole to dispose of their waste but even this is not very friendly as it invariably pollutes the local water course.

Archived