Complete France Forum

sourcing a woodburner

bigears

hi

just been back to the uk to source some goods for our renovation project.  We managed to buy a range cooker but not a woodburner.  Stockists were short of the woodburner we fancied (a villager flatmate) and could not produce one in time.  On getting back here I checked at mr bricolage and found the prices relatively high, with no real discounts..  The supra we have had for 5 years is offered for sale today at twice the price we bought it for.  Does anyone know of any retailer selling woodburners at a good discount, we are in dept 87?  Could be interested in a  secondhand one. 

Do not buy such things now, prices as in meat and petrol etc are increased during the summer months because of the influx of tourists and second home owners doing up properties and usually the only time they can shop for such items as stoves.  Wait until end of Sept/Oct and the winter promos start to appear with prices greatly reduced.

Or keep looking at forums for your area AI, TF etc. We've found that at this time of year, folks are changing their heating systems and there are more secondhand woodeburners around.

I've just picked up a couple of bargains (from different sellers) with stainless steel flues for 450 euros the two. Both were fairly new models and retail at over 2000 euros. We are very chuffed as the saving will go towards the solar water heating kit.

hi again

Zeb, I check TF classified every day and have bought from there, what is AI, enlighten me?  I too like bargains, it helps me sleep at night.

Might have found a new villager flatmate in the uk, need to be able to get it delivered to our daughters within the week so they can bring it out, a long shot I think.

hi

Hi don't pay income tax here and also do all my own building work.  The villager is reduced by about 200 pounds, so is a bargain.  I  haven't even built the chimney yet, just would like to have a stove sourced so I can get on with other things.

Understand and wish I was up to such work sadly not so have to pay others.  Beware though if you resell your house at a later date and it remains a maison secondaire and you make a profit your overheads your own input is not allowable for tax whilst French registered artisans are.  But of course the maison secondaire could become a maison principale.

hi

thanks for that dragonrouge, am aware of that and we will only sell after having become french residents, that will not be until my wife gets her old age pension so that we will get the health.  I will not pay french artisan prices, I don't have that sort of money and anyway I do enjoy doing all the work myself.  We actually have just bought a villager stove  from the UK for a heavily discounted price and daughter will bring it across.  It includes a 1 metre section of flue pipe described as 6 inch (150 mm).  I normally fit a T piece (90 degree spigot tee with cap) coming out of the back of a stove then the straight piece fits into that.  The flue pipes here in france are sold as 153mm (152mm, cannot remember exactly).  I didn't order the Tee piece from the UK supplier as it was seventy odd pounds! 

Can I get away with using the equivalent french Tee piece, will it fit the stove and the british straight flue pipe? 

Archived