Complete France Forum

Central heating

oscarsdad

We have just bought a house in The Dordogne which currenty has electric storage heaters. We want to put in central heating and are getting conflicting advice. Any idea whether gas or electric would be cheaper to run? The property has gas supply at the end of the garden. Thanks

Two years ago I actually paid to have a gaz connection (around €400) in order to run a combi boiler for all hot water and heating - against many local's advice! No regrets. I found many locals looked at things very much in the short term and said things to me like "It will take you years to re-coup what you've paid out in having the connection put in" etc etc..

There may be some truth in that, but I refused to blast out electric convector heaters and watch the electricity meter clock do mad. I also wanted quality of life and a 'wet' heating system - and I'm in the South here in Languedoc..

I have a top of the range Veissmann boiler and a GDF Electricity & Gaz contract and the ease of use is fantastic. I cook a lot so the gaz is great for that too. I pay a monthly combined tariff but manage to keep the electricity to a 3K so it's only around €4 a month for that, and €10 I think for the gaz..

Now, gas prices are volatile at the moment, but you can fix them for say 2 years..

Personally I'm very happy indeed..

Archived