Complete France Forum

Fosse maintenance?

sid

We have a 2-year-old fosse. I'm normally one for leaving well alone, and it has been working satisfactorily (as far as I know) for this period. The other day I hapened to disturb one of the inspection covers, I ran over it with my mower and caught the lid... it didn't do the mower a lot of good either [blink]! Anyway, I succumbed to temptation and lifted the lid to see what was in there (as if you need to guess [+o(]). I was surprised to see that there is a layer of hard 'crud' about a foot, sorry, 30cms down inside. I've done a bit of Googling and find that this is normal, a crust can develop, but the reason for my post; is it necessary to do anything to this layer, like poking it with a big stick (making sure to hold the right end) in order to break up the layer, or is it OK as it is?

There are no smells from the fosse or the vent and my inclination is to leave it alone.

Sid

Sounds like all is well Sid. If you had looked closely you would probably have seen small bubles appearing too. You should, according to the French law, have it emptied every 4 years. I have no idea why, but that's what they say?

I have had a septic tank for 23 years in the U.K. and now a fosse here and one question that I would like to know is why the fosse is so very delicate compaired to our septic tank. It was shared between 2 families and my neighbour used to put alsorts down from her end and loads of it would have apparently upset a French jobby?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]You should, according to the French law, have it emptied every 4 years. I have no idea why, but that's what they say?[/quote]

Something to do with not polluting the water table, according to the nice SPANC lady who did our check last year.

[quote]Pourquoi faut-il vidanger régulièrement sa fosse septique ?

C'est son rôle

d'accumule des graisses et des solides. Mais à mesure qu'elle se comble, elle perd de son

efficacité et laisse s'échapper des matériaux en suspension qui

risquent de colmater votre élément épurateur et de créer de très

sérieux problèmes de pollution.
Why should we drain a septic tank regularly ?

Its role

is to accumulate fat and solids. But as it gets filled, it loses its

effectiveness and
materials in suspension can escape, which may clog the

drainage and create serious pollution problems
.[/quote]

Thanks everyone, I'll leave it. We use the Tarax treatment and we have a 4-year contract with SPANC, (although she hasn't spanked me yet! [:-))] ) so I'll let them sort it out by emptying if necessary. I was just in one of my interfering/inquisitive moods... it's passed now! [:D]

Sid

That is exactly what I mean about the differences Clair. Our tank in England was only emptied about every 7 or so years. Also the 'honey waggon' driver always made sure that a little of the 'crust' was left so as to be a starter for the next 'load'. Here the tank is washed out completely. Or at least ours was a few months ago by the local 'honey waggon' driver and he seemed to know what he was doing. So there is a difference and I would love to know what it is.

The 'honey woggon' we used in England had a lovely sign on the back.

Quote :- 

"It may be sh!t to you,

But it's my bread and butter!

I always wondered what he had in his sandwiches?[+o(]

Archived