Complete France Forum

Fosse Confusion

La Guerriere

I am now mildly confused (my natural state). The project for the new fosse is underway, we have had the site survey and the bureau d'etudes is writing up the study. I toddled into the Mairie yesterday to ask for an application form for re-doing the system, and they said, no there isn't a form, you just write a letter to the Mairie.... I thought that there was a specific form for this, which the Mairie peer at then send on to SPANC. What is the system .... ?[8-)]

Round here the system is you contact SPANC, they come and do a survey and advise on size and type of Fosse. The survey is free.  If they turn up to check your fosse you have to pay for the check. You then get a contractor or do the installation yourself and before you can commission it SPANC have to come back and check it conforms to their recommendations and the rules.

As SPANC are part of the commune administration, you don't have to tell anyone else about the works..

We had to complete a "Demande d'installation d'assainissement non collectif" which was submitted to Veolia (who do the inspections in our area, not SPANC) with the soil study report. A copy had to be given to the Mairie. Veolia then sent back an approval for the plans so that we could get quotes for installation. All paperwork was directed through the Mairie.

Having said that, when we began the process the Mairie were pretty unsure as to what should happen regarding the new rules and I think they used us as a test case to find out how it all should work.

Your best bet would be to get advice from your inspector (SPANC or Veolia) to make sure you are complying with the latest procedures.

We are getting there. I waddled into the Marie today, and gave them a copy of the Etude which they agreed they would send on to SPANC. I am now going to speak nicely to some local fosse-contractors, but I feel that as this is going to include a sand bed filter and lift pump fosse / filter bed this ain't going to be cheap.....[Www]

Archived