Complete France Forum

Squall heaters any experience of servicing?

JohnRoss

We have a Squall turbo type poêle à pétrole which we use when a bit chilly in the evenings and mornings when we don't want to light the log burning stove. Given good service for the last three years but is now giving problems. If the desired temperature is set to more than a degree or so above the room temperature the flame tends to go unstable giving an E2 error. I assume this is when some internal pump is working harder. You can see it flashing bright orange from the normal blue every few seconds. After a short while the safety system shuts it down. This happens in both Auto and Save modes of operation. When the set temperature and room temperatures are the same all is well and it ticks over quite happily in Auto mode.

We have tried all the suggested techniques in the handbook to restore normal operation, cleaning, new fuel etc,  but no go. Has anyone had experience of opening it up to clean the innards or is this not possible. Is it worth taking it to someone for a service or are the costs so high as to make a replacement a better option..........................................................JR

PS Since posting this it has started packing up even when the two temperatures are the same.

Just to close this off as nobody replied, I assume because they have not done it, this is what I did which seems to have solved the problem. Removed fuel tank and sucked out fuel in the reservoir. Stripped off front and top panels. Opened up combustion chamber and sucked out the small amount of loose debris found. Removed solenoid pump from fuel reservoir and removed injector tube between pump and combustion chamber. Ran a fine wire through this tube to check for blockages, none found. Removed and cleaned microfilter on bottom of pump where it dips into the reservoir by agitating in white spirit and then washing in paraffin. Must be a very fine mesh, so small that holes are invisible, just looks like a sheet of transparent plastic. Re-assembled and ran with covers off checking for leaks round top of pump where injection tube screws on. Replaced covers and soak tested for several hours. Problem no-longer in evidence. The innards are somewhat delicate so some care is needed. I think that checking for leaks afterwards is a number one priority. Hope this info might help someone else......................................JR

PS I would not attempt this if no experience of things of this ilk!

Archived