Complete France Forum

Why can't the French make something to size?

Mr Coeur de Lion

We bought an 18 carrow door from Leroy Merlin and a stairacase from Brico depo. All we have to do is put them together. Simple. An hours work max.

First I decided to put the staircase together only to find that the steps are 2mm too big for the slots in the stringers (both in width and thickness). Three hours of cutting down later, all 13 pieces finally fit.

Next the door. A simple, just pop each pane of glass in and then put the wooden slats over and nail in. Maybe 90 mins work max. Wrong. Each slat is about 3mm too long, so that's 18 x 4 cuts to make them the right size.

Why can't the French make things to fit? It would cost them no extra money to make the things accurate.

I've a good mind to send a bill to Leroy Merlin and Brico Depo for the extra time it's cost me. Very frustrating. I hate it when 10 minute jobs turn into epics.

Why can't the French make something to size?

I think in the case of Bricodepot your question should probably be

Why can't the Chinese/Indonesians make something to size?

The answer as Ron says is working to a (too low )price. Bricodepot is pitched at the part of the market that is willing to accept lots of filler, mastic  and beading to cover up the imperfections.

What I don't understand is they're producing all this stuff automatically en mass, yet all they need to do is reduce two sizes by a couple of mm and it would be spot on. I mean it's not rocket science, is it?

Sure the stairs were cheap, but the door wasn't and that certainly was made in France. Just really surprises me, I've not had this problem before and I've put a fair few flat packed stuff together in my time.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]We bought an 18 carrow door from Leroy Merlin and a stairacase from Brico depo. All we have to do is put them together. Simple. An hours work max.

Not done much of this work then, now you know why the french have the Gallic shrug

Why can't the French make things to fit? It would cost them no extra money to make the things accurate.  Why can't the British, oh I remember because its all made in the far East.

Very frustrating. I hate it when 10 minute jobs turn into epics. There is no such thing as a ten minute job (unless your making love)[:)][:D][:)]
[/quote]

[quote user="teapot"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]We bought an 18 carrow door from Leroy Merlin and a stairacase from Brico depo. All we have to do is put them together. Simple. An hours work max.

Not done much of this work then, now you know why the french have the Gallic shrug

Why can't the French make things to fit? It would cost them no extra money to make the things accurate.  Why can't the British, oh I remember because its all made in the far East.

Very frustrating. I hate it when 10 minute jobs turn into epics. There is no such thing as a ten minute job (unless your making love)[:)][:D][:)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Heh, I am beginning to understand....

10 minutes making love? Does that include the sleeping?

Archived