Complete France Forum

Fosse Question

grandjean

Sounds like a good idea, share the costs. You would have to have a fosse big enough to cover the total number of bedrooms and bathrooms.

But this is a question for the SPANC people. They will have to check the system and say whether it conforms to the standards.

We suggested this to SPANC along with sharing the cost of connection to the new mains drains (that, otherwise, wouldn't go to either of our properties) and we got a look of abject horror and a very firm NON!

Apparently it causes issues if there is a problem and it can't be agreed which of the shared parties 'owns' the problem...

[quote user="grandjean"]

I have a simple question and are hoping for a yes or no answer.

Is it possible for neighbouring properties to share a fosse?

[/quote]

hi ok

yes just put one in , all approved and passed by S.V.L

Dave

[quote user="grandjean"]

I have a simple question and are hoping for a yes or no answer.

Is it possible for neighbouring properties to share a fosse?

[/quote]

Yes, of course it is possible - though whether it is legal or desirable should, perhaps, be the subject of another question.

John

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and briefly outline the problem to perhaps get more expansive answers.

Three years ago two attached properties shared the same fosse as they were originally one large house. When the bigger of the two was sold in 2006 access to the fosse for the smaller house was cut-off as the fosse sat on the land belonging to the larger property. This meant that the smaller property now had no waste disposal facility whatsoever. It's completely land-locked so the current owner cannot install her own fosse.

What is more sad is that she is terminally-ill and because of the fosse problem cannot sell and it seems as if the property is now worthless.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

[quote user="grandjean"]

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and briefly outline the problem to perhaps get more expansive answers.

Three years ago two attached properties shared the same fosse as they were originally one large house. When the bigger of the two was sold in 2006 access to the fosse for the smaller house was cut-off as the fosse sat on the land belonging to the larger property. This meant that the smaller property now had no waste disposal facility whatsoever. It's completely land-locked so the current owner cannot install her own fosse.

What is more sad is that she is terminally-ill and because of the fosse problem cannot sell and it seems as if the property is now worthless.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

[/quote]

How awful for the owner.  The issue is that whilst it is of course possible and you do see properties for sale that share a fosse, her problem is that the neighbour would have to agree to the arrangement and that doesn't sound very likely.

I would get SPANC in and ask them to come up with a solution, they might assist in convincing the neighbour if no other option is open to her.

Archived