Complete France Forum

self installed air con

bananas

Hi

I just have a quick question about the installation of a bi split air condtioning unit.

What I would like to do is run all the cables for it now and install it later when time and more importantly my budget allows.

Firstly does anyone think it would be a problem to have the exterior unit on a flat roof terrasse (with no access) or would the weight and possible vibration of the unit make this a silly idea?

I realise that I need 3x 2.5mm cables from the tableau to the main unit outside, but what cables do I need to run to the actual wall mounted units inside? Cant seem to get a clear answer form any of the brico sheds....And secondly if any one has any experience of it, what size gaine do I need to instal so that I can pull the refrigeration pipes through at a later date?

Cheers all and I hope that makes sense.

Bananas

I guess it will depend on who's you buy. The ones in Brico Depot can change manufacturer as new stock arrives. Normally the power point will be inside the house adjacent to where the unit will be mounted on the wall, just to the side of it. In the installation I saw this was a normal power socket.

How this works with a Bi Split unit I do not know because you will have two units inside the house. I guess you could put a power socket in for each internal unit just in case although I suspect its the bigger of the two that will need the power but thats only a guess. The external unit gets its power from the inside unit so there is a multi-core cable that runs between the two, The hole through the wall also has to take the pipes as well. When I watched one being installed the guy put 40mm waste pipe through the wall at a slight downwards angle (the outside being lower than the inside) which stops water coming through when it rains. The cable and pipes were then pushed through the waste pipe to the outside and then connected to the unit.

You will need mounting brackets to bolt on to the wall irregardless of height, the price (at the time of this post) from Brico Depot is 34 Euros, they have rubber mounts to bolt the unit on so the vibration should be quite low. You will also need two sets of 'pre charged' pipes (pipes with gas already in them, one set per inside unit) at 120 Euros per pair. Don't fix the pipes to the wall, let them float inside some suitable plastic trunking. Put some bubble wrap loosely round them to dampen any vibration. Don't do it too tight as vibration may travel up the pipes from the main unit and could cause a pipe fracture through metal fatigue at a later date.

Clair

Sorry, but this must be open to interpretation, I have just had clim fitted by a very reputable local installer, two large units on the rear of the property. I was told that no permission or authorisation was required. I also know of four other nearby properties that have done the same with no recourse to the Mairie.

Maybe altering the face of the property means a construction term rather than an additional piece of kit?

Hi Bananas

What I would like to do is run all the cables for it now and install it later when time and more importantly my budget allows.

Depending on which unit you are buying the interconnecting cable may come with the unit and usually the cables are run with the pipe work and drain, just noticed you are looking at a/c units from brico's then the interconnecting cable will be with the unit.

Firstly does anyone think it would be a problem to have the exterior unit on a flat roof terrasse (with no access) or would the weight and possible vibration of the unit make this a silly idea?

If the roof has "NO ACCESS" how are you going to place the a/c unit there? or do you mean the only was to access the roof area will be with a ladder?

If it is the latter no problem as you will be able to get to the a/c unit to carry out 6 monthly servicing ( yes they should be serviced every 6 months if you don't you could invalidate the warranty )  and they will not run as efficiantly as they should.

Depending on the stucture of the roof will depend on whether the weight will be a problem,

Vibration problems, place paving slabs then antivib pads then a/c unit then bolt a/c unit down to paving slabs, two large slabs, one under each set of feet on a/c unit, both pipes will be lagged so should not be a problem, run them with cableand drain line in plastic ducting will stop viberation and make the job neat and tidy.

I realise that I need 3x 2.5mm cables from the tableau to the main unit outside, but what cables do I need to run to the actual wall mounted units inside? Cant seem to get a clear answer form any of the brico sheds....And secondly if any one has any experience of it, what size gaine do I need to instal so that I can pull the refrigeration pipes through at a later date?

You may not need 2.5 cable it will depend on the load that the a/c unit draws, normally on these cheaper units the power is from a wall socket next to the indoor unit (as already stated ) and is carried to the outdoor unit by the interconnecting cable, depending on whether you come out of the back of the unit and through the wall or if you need to run pipe work and cable along the wall to get outside, if the latter, run all pipe work and cable in plasic ducting, again keeping the work neat and tidy, please note, in my opinion pre charged lines do tend to leak after a while!!!

One last thing make sure the unit is using R410a and NOT R407c,  R407c is a mixture and is liable to be phased out in the near future, so NO spares will be available for units, the Chinese are dumping units in Europe (selling them off cheap) so be aware !!!!

Hope the above helps, I do not know whether you need permission to install one or not, but mine is keeping me nice and warm.[8-|]

Bonne chance

Thank you all for the replies, very helpful. I apologise if this seems very basic, but I do worry.

So, do the interior units attach to the ceiling, if so will I have to put in more wood:metal rails work to strengthing it?

And finally how flexible are the refrigeration pipes? Just wondering how much of a pig its going to be to pass them across my psuedo attic (low pitch fermette and suspended ceiling, so crawling around on it is going to be troublesome...)

Thanks again

Bananas

[quote user="bananas"]

So, do the interior units attach to the ceiling, if so will I have to put in more wood:metal rails work to strengthing it?

[/quote]

No they attach to the wall.

[quote user="bananas"]

And finally how flexible are the refrigeration pipes? Just wondering

how much of a pig its going to be to pass them across my psuedo attic

(low pitch fermette and suspended ceiling, so crawling around on it is

going to be troublesome...)

[/quote]

They are like a flexible hose although you can't bend them at a tight 90 deg. The best thing I can suggest is get down to Brico Depot and have a look for yourself. Leroy Merlin also sell them, (but not so cheap) and they do a 'fiche' if your French is up to it. If you are really lucky you might find the chap speaks English like the one in Perpignan (Clara).

Archived