Complete France Forum

single storey - outside fire flue height

newbiee

I have a single storey attached to my two storey farmhouse.  I would like to fit a wood burner in it exiting through the outside wall . 

Is there any regulation as to how high the chimney needs to be?  Or does anybody have any knowledge as to why this might not be a good idea??!

Your scenario is similar to my own here in UK I wanted to have a wood fueled Rayburn in my kitchen which is a single storey attached to a two storey building.

In the installation instructions from Rayburn they quote the the flue must be a minimum of 4.5 meters high and protrude well above the roof line that would be a total of a minimum of lets say 5m high (Rayburns are slightly higher that a wood burning stove) if you have that amount you can get away with it, but you also have to consider how close it is to your 2 storey building as you will suffer from downdraft some/most of the time. In which case you would have to extend your flue/chimney so that is higher than the ridge line of your two storey house, which is usually the stumble block as it looks so out of place!!

Alas I have not done this yet as I am not ready to do the kitchen.

Archived