Complete France Forum

Ready mixed cement

Angie

We have several smallish projects on the go at our property in Ariege and we were thinking of getting a delivery of ready mixed concrete once all the groundwork is done so we can save time.  We realise it will be a lot more expensive than using our own mixer and labour but frankly we just want to start enjoying our house!!  We reckon we will need to order about 6 cubic metres of concrete.  Having never used such a company either in the UK or France can someone please tell us what happens when the mixer arrives.  Will the driver pull up next to the area to be concreted and just "pour" it in from the lorry with us standing by to level it, or will it need to be shuted into a wheelbarrow and taken manually?  The three areas we need to concrete should all be accessible to the lorry and it would be great if the driver could just pour it in as there will only be 2 of us on site.  Sorry to sound naive!

In the UK the driver will drop the concrete wherever you want.........as long as the truck can get there. I was once stuck when the labour didn't turn up, I got the driver to add extra water to the mix to make it runnier......he offloaded it through the kitchen window and I leveled a kitchen floor (very large) on my own.

Most RMC wagons are 8m3, so you will end up paying for 6m3 + a charge for not having the other 2m3. You will also pay for the Chauffeur (driver) as well as the wagon, you can pay extra for a tapis (conveyor belt) to get the rmc where you want it, well worth while. It generally works out between €80 and €100 a m3. Bythe time you buy the sand and gravel and cement, and pay for delivery or all that, plus the extra time and grief it will take to mix yourself, and the extra work of barrowing the concrete around, it will work out roughly the same cost and take a lot less time. Hope it helps.

We have had a couple of deliveries of RMC in France. In both case we specified additive to give us a bit more working time. The drivers were brilliant at backing up as close as possible and had a set of sectional chutes so they could dump the gloop pretty accurately a couple of metres away from the truck. It is a great exercise and fun day for all the family.

[:D][:D][:D]

Archived