Complete France Forum

5amps in the UK

Pads

Need some help from the teccies out there

Im in the UK

I have a 5amp fuse in my fuse box for my lights ... its been ok up to now but over the last few weeks it has blown a few times and I have been putting 5 amp wire around it and putting it back and its been working OK again ... to stop it blowing again would it help if I use a 15 amp wire ...?

Yes daft woman here put what can I do when on my own and cant get an electricain until hubby comes home or a real one after christmas ...??[:(]

Absolutely not pads,

You could cause a serious fire. The fuse is the weak link in the electrics its designed to blow first, if you increase the size of the fuse something else somewhere will be getting very hot, hence the fire risk.

Also when you wire the fuse, only 1 strand of the fuse wire must span the terminals. you have a fault and maybe someone on the forum would help a Damsel in distress especially at christmas.

If you mean will it help you find out what's wrong by causing a fire and burning the house down the yes otherwise DEFINATELY NOT it's 5A for a reason and it's blowing for a reason and you have to find out what that is.

You should try to find out which circuit is causing the problem by switching on lights on their own until one pops the fuse.

Ok lads thanks alot ... I will just put the 5amp fuse wire back on again then ... hubby home in a few days so I hope he can sort it or I ill get an electrian in after christmas ...

Still a good fire would save me a bit in heating ...(only joking [Www] )

Merry Christmas to you all[kiss]

Might not be a fault but just overloaded.It doesn't take much to reach 5 amps.

Light fittings are rated in watts e.g. 25W , 60W , 100W .

5A roughly equates to about 1150W . So maybe if you live in a large house and only one lighting circuit and you have lots of lights on at once.............. hope this helps.[I]

Using a fuse box with fuse wire in the UK is an indication of its possible age and that it may well be time to consider an upgrade to a modern trip circuit board. I would suggest that an Electrician should test all your circuitry and advise.

Baz

I have had some new spotlights put in my bathroom .... but that was a while ago ..could this be over loading it ? I live in the house by my self mostly so only have the light on in the room im using ... there isnt lots on at the same time ... does it make a difference ?

My house is made up of 2 parts one side is a 200 year old cottage , it was then extended in the 50's to an exstention of the same size , so all the black clip in fuze sections , say lights exstention , lights cottage , sockets exstention, sockets cottage ect .... but the new lights are all in the exstention , I believe they are low voltage , but there are 12 of them , again they are never all on at the same time .. each time they have blown , there has one been one strip of three being turned on that does it . 

With out taking the lights out again , can do any thing about this ?

Hi Pads, as Phil and Pat have said "put a piece of tape over the fuse" It is probably a transformer breaking down on that strip of three. The good news is that is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

I have just replaced one in my Kitchen an hour ago. It failed a couple of weeks ago and as you can imagine O/H wanted fixed for christmas.

Archived