Complete France Forum

Equipment hire shops

Jacqui      Too

Don't take the first price they give you - push them hard.

I went by two hire places yesterday and the yards were full of JCBs, cherry pickers and heavy kit - the recession is going to hit this sector hard.

If you are hiring a digger check how they charge - we were told it was by the day and when they picked it up they charged by the hour clock on the machine. Well we did get carried away it was such fun.

Have gained though by doing a one day hire on a friday and they are not open or don't collect on Sunday so you can get a free day.

[quote user="Dog"]

If you are hiring a digger check how they charge - we were told it was by the day and when they picked it up they charged by the hour clock on the machine. Well we did get carried away it was such fun.

Have gained though by doing a one day hire on a friday and they are not open or don't collect on Sunday so you can get a free day.

[/quote]

Check how many hours they call one day! as Dog says, they use the hour timer. If you use it for nine hours they charge for two days (kiloutou) big ruck with manager, got the cost reduced a bit but was bloody expensive for the one day.

The first bit of equipment is a sand-blaster and a compressor, the compressor is quite large and might have to be towed, we have a large van and will be able to pick up, delivery is an option but it is quite expensive and after looking at their websites it not clear if the delivery charge will be for each item or or for the largest/most expensive item only.

I dont think we will be eligible for any trade/card as the hire will only be for short periods and well spaced out over the next couple of years!

Any other recommendations for places to try , we are 10 miles from Perigueux (24) we will need a digger (jcb type) and scaffolding next.

I am also same distance from Perigueux.

There are two hire places in the industrial estate opposite Achaun. I use the one that isn't Hertz. It's got an Italian sounding name and they are very helpful.

For sand blasting you need a bloomin' big compressor I used one on wheels like you see road repairers using . Take the biggest blaster and compressor you get get.

The head gear was hot and sweaty so we adapted an old full face motorcycle helmet.

Was an art to keeping the sand blaster going. Even using the special dry sand we kept getting water in the system.

There is a place to get the sand on the same estate.

Thanks every one

[quote user="Dog"]

I am also same distance from Perigueux.........

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, We are on the east side so Boulazac is our nearest commercial zone. They have several: Loxam, Kiloutou, and Daudou  so will try a few. Was the place 'Locati' that you were thinking of ?

Archived